Water softener sizing for changing water usage

Users who are viewing this thread

SoftenerNewbie

Reaction score
Been reading articles online for past few days but still can't makeup my mind about which size softener to get.

Water hardness: 300ppm = 17.5 gpg
Min people in house: 7 people
Guests: Every 2 months or so we get 2-3 guests that stay 2-3 weeks.

The valve is Up-flow regeneration metered Runxin (chinese). Would like to use the salt efficiently 8lb/cu.ft should be good enough. The installer said that 13x54 vessel with 2.5 cu.ft Purolite C100E resin is good size for my needs.

Does that sound good? I was thinking of going with 16x65 (can't find 14x65 vessel locally) considering with low salt regeneration, the softening capacity is reduced as well. OTOH, I was reading that for Upflow regeneration, the resin bed depth should be min 3'3", would 4 cu.ft resin in 16x65 vessel be enough to achieve that height? Also read somewhere that with gravel bed, we don't have to worry about resin bed depth and channeling issues during up-flow regeneration?

Reach4

Reaction score
16x65 would normally us 4.0 cu. ft. of resin, or 4.5.

Upflow brining needs gravel plus a low-enough injector flow rate. I don't have numbers for you, and I don't know your valve.

SoftenerNewbie

Reaction score
Valve: https://www.run-xin.com/en/content7_372.htm
Manual: https://www.run-xin.com/upload/20190627/153734581337.pdf

My main concerns are:
1. Is 13x54 with 2.5cuft resin enough for 7 person household, while being set for low salt usage?
2. The injector they sent me is Yellow/orange looking. In their book yellow injector (6303 = 0.75 gpm) and yellow injector with green throat is highest-flow injector but my injector does not have green anything on it, its pure dark yellow looking.

Also, the included BLFC are DLFC parts are the ones both listed under DLFC in their manual. Parts 8468062 (6.6 gpm) and 8468063 (8.1 gpm)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks