Water Softener Size

Users who are viewing this thread

Jschwee

Reaction score
Hi, I recently picked up a softener for next to nothing. The people didn't have the manual or know anything about it. My question is what size softener is it? The tank is a pentair 1044, and the valve is a ws1. When i plugged it in and went through the settings it is set to 55.5xx1000. This doesn't seem right to me. If I need to change the resin how much do I need? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Bannerman

Reaction score
As a 10" X 54" tank is suitable for 1.5 cuft (ft2) of resin + gravel underbedding, and as a 10" X 35" tank is occaisionally utilized for 1 ft2 + gravel, I anticipate your 10" X 44" tank likely contains 1.25 ft2 resin + 15 lbs gravel.

While 1.25 ft3 resin will have 40,000 grains total hardness removal capacity, regenerating 100% of the resin's capacity will be highly inefficient as that will require 25 lbs salt each cycle. Hardness Reduction Efficiency would then be 40,000 / 25 = 1,600 grains per lb.

To operate more efficiently, the usual recommendation will be to regenerate when no more than 30,000 grains capacity has been utilized as only 10 lbs salt will be needed so HRE will be substantially increased to 3,000 gr/lb.

Last edited:

Jschwee

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, if I was going to replace the resin, is it necessary to put the gravel bed in? From what I've read it says optional, and just put the 1.25 cu ft of resin in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks