Water softener recommendation, 5600 vs 5800 vs 9100

Users who are viewing this thread

James Pak

Reaction score
We have 4 adults and 2 toddler, about to move in to a brand new contruction house in Los Angeles, its custom build, has 3 full bath, and the builder will install the water softerner.

Looking online, from abc water, the 5600 series and the 9100 cost around $700 and $1100. A local company recommending the 5800 series for $1800 (2 cubic ft, 64000 grain)

Wondering if the much greater premium is worth it for the 5800.

Its city water; hardness 140 ppm, 1 inch water pipe.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
City water supply or private well?
Hardness quantity? If private well, quantity of iron and manganese?
What is the size of the main plumbing line entering the home?

While you stated the 5800 system is based on 2 cuft, it is unclear if the 5600 system is based on the same size. The 9100 system is a twin tank design so while it is not comparable directly, the size was not stated.

As you mentioned the 5600 and 9100 systems were priced online, those prices probably do not include installation whereas the 5800 system quoted locally likely includes installation, but this is not defined.

James Pak

Reaction score
Water pipe is 1 inch. Its city water at hardness of 140 ppm. All price were parts only as i do not need installation; the builder of the house will install it.

I think the 5600 is also 64000 grain (not sure if its 1.5 or 2 cubic ft), for $750, still $1100 less than the 5800 ($1850 parts only)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks