Water Softener Moving & Storage question

Users who are viewing this thread

mbg225

Reaction score
My family and I are moving and I want to take my water softener & upflow carbon filter with us. Moving it is not the issue, it is storing it as we will be in a rental for 6-7 months before our house is finished being built.

What do you recommend? Do I need to empty the tanks before storage or can I get away with purchasing lids for the tanks and keeping them stored for that long? The softener medium and carbon is only 1year old. I'd hate to have to throw it away.

Thanks for the advice!

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
My family and I are moving and I want to take my water softener & upflow carbon filter with us. Moving it is not the issue, it is storing it as we will be in a rental for 6-7 months before our house is finished being built.

What do you recommend? Do I need to empty the tanks before storage or can I get away with purchasing lids for the tanks and keeping them stored for that long? The softener medium and carbon is only 1year old. I'd hate to have to throw it away.

Thanks for the advice!
remove the control heads. remove the water by sticking a tube (I use 1/4") down the center (white) distributor and create a syphon by sucking on the tube. the other end has to be at ground level to drain all the water. let the water drain from each tank, put the control heads in a box, cover the tops of the tanks so rodents can't get in them, then place in storage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks