Water Softener Loop Components/Installation Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Gezeebeezee

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

New to the forum and to plumbing in general. We just purchased a home in San Antonio which has notoriously hard water. I recently purchased a water softener, but am unsure about certain parts of the installation. Our home has designated room with a pre-plumbed loop, but I’m unsure where the water softener drain should go.

I’ve included a few images showing the room and have some questions.

1) Which is the drain I should use when installing? (I’m assuming it’s the white capped one near the floor)

2) What is the small capped off piece between the loop?

3) If it is the white capped pipe near the floor, do I need to have some sort of p trap to prevent sewer gases?

4) Does there need to be a shutoff valve at the loop? The water softener I purchased has a built in bypass valve.

I don’t really know much about plumbing but have read through some articles and posts. Sorry if these are very basic questions. Also, the images uploaded sideways and I’m unsure how to rotate them. Hopefully it’s obvious where the floor is.

Attachments

• 106D96FB-6707-4A9E-A2EE-0E5D5D482F8C.jpeg
    106D96FB-6707-4A9E-A2EE-0E5D5D482F8C.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 70
  • A04FF8E8-6CA7-4E55-837D-A4B50E92EEA2.jpeg
    A04FF8E8-6CA7-4E55-837D-A4B50E92EEA2.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 76
  • CDA2F6E5-622B-4504-8C9F-1721406862C2.jpeg
    CDA2F6E5-622B-4504-8C9F-1721406862C2.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 71

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would guess you need a p trap coming from at least one of those sewer connections. Depending on what they big one does you might be ok to install a slip joint p trap and trap adapter on the lower connection point. I would flush some toilets up above the room and make sure that isn't a main drain line that carries a bunch of waste. If it is you'd be best off running more pipe and a seperate vent.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might ask the builder, or a neighbor that has a house built about the same time by the same builder.

Can you pull the cap off of the bottom white thing, or is it glued?

Is the cleanout centered right above the bottom white thing?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks