Water Softener Location

Users who are viewing this thread

Styxplo

Reaction score
My well tank and water softener are currently in the mech room in my pole barn. They feed the laundry and bathroom in the barn along with a temp feed going to a mobile home we are living in while we are building. Out of my barn I ran a 1" 200 psi poly pipe about 80' to my house which is currently under construction. I would like to keep the softener along with some filtering and a UV light in the barn. My concern is am I going to see a significant flow/pressure drop because they softener will be 80' away. I don't want to have to buy another softener and it will free up a lot of room in the house mech room. Thanks

Styxplo

Reaction score
No problem.

http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/ is a pressure drop calculator you might try if you want to see some verification. Note that 1 inch SIDR poly pipe is bigger ID than one inch.

When you sanitize your well, sanitize your plumbing too. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing writeup. Maybe overkill.
I entered the info as best I could and the pressure drop at 120’ ( I added a little buffer) was only around 2psi. Shouldn’t even be noticeable??

Bannerman

Reaction score
What is the design flow rate which will determine the size of plumbing that is to be installed in your home? Many newer homes are now being equipped with 1" or even an 1.25" mainline.

When entering 10 gpm flow through a 120' section of 1" straight pipe, the online calculator estimates the pressure drop will be 3. 64 psi, which does not include bends, elbows, internal fittings, valves, elevation changes or other restrictions. While this remains relatively insignificant, a 120' length of 1.25" pipe is estimated at 1.26 psi and 0.53 psi for 1.5" pipe.

Styxplo

Reaction score
I guess I really don't have a design flow rate. I looked up the flow rate of fixtures and the washing machine was 4-5 GPM and the next biggest was 2.2 GPM for a faucet. I used 7 GPM in the calculator. The i.d. of the poly was 1.061" and that is what I used for the calculation. I also used 0.875" i.d. of 1" pex and did the calcualtions for comparison. The poly is a straight shot at pretty much the same elevation. It drops to 36" below grade and stays there through the run into the basement. The plumber used 3/4" Pex as a main line then tee'd off of the to 1/2" at the fixtures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks