Water Softener Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

AR_Hills

Reaction score
I purchased a Penair system through Dittohead a few years ago. It’s been working awesome up until now. I am now getting a insane amount of salt in my treated water to the point it’s leaving salt deposits on everything. It’s been like this for awhile until I noticed it in my tea boiler a few days ago.

Anyone have any idea why my salt content has drastically jumped?

Reach4

Reaction score
Some possibilities come to mind. Here are some preliminary questions:

Is the brine fill a lot higher that it used to be?

Is the extra saltiness only the day after a regeneration? I would think likely so.

A TDS meter is useless for measuring softness, but it is useful to detect excess saltiness.

AR_Hills

Reaction score
Some possibilities come to mind. Here are some preliminary questions:

Is the brine fill a lot higher that it used to be?

Is the extra saltiness only the day after a regeneration? I would think likely so.

Nope it’s actually almost empty which is nuts as I fill it completely about three weeks ago. The water level is the same as it has always been.

It’s seems the salt level is constant with a slight drop off before the next regen.

My TDS meter is broken. Actually just ordered a replacement one as I found out trying to figure out this issue.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Purchased from one of our customers,

Salt in the line, is the water actually salty tasting. When I say salty, i mean like ocean water, not " I think it might be". SAR is an issue with water that has reduced calcium and increased sodium levels. it can be difficult for some plants and soils. We typically do not recommend watering with softned water as it tends to take far more water than untreated water.

As to the KL system, have you inspected the internals? See the video on how to tear the valve down and inspect it thoroughly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks