Water Softener & Iron Filter Drain Lines - To Sump or Septic?

Users who are viewing this thread

J.A.R.V.I.S.

Reaction score
The systems will be installed in a "closet" with the pressure tank. There are no floor drains nearby but the sump pit is about 15' away. There's also a bathroom directly overhead on the floor above. I searched here and the advice seems 50/50. It could be good or bad for the septic system, and some people don't want it going through the sump pump.

Anyone have advice for my scenario? If it's best to dump to the outside, could I tap into the sump pump pipe that runs along the ceiling? If septic is better, what's the easiest way to accomplish that? I was thinking it could tie into the sink drain in the bathroom above.

Any help is appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you talking about a softener drain plus a backwashing iron filter drain?

Where does the sump pump drainage go?

Regarding the sink drain, an iron filter could be 7 or 10 gpm during backwash. That might be too much for a lavatory drain. Figure you will run 3/4 inch pipe to the drain.

J.A.R.V.I.S.

Reaction score
Are you talking about a softener drain plus a backwashing iron filter drain?

Where does the sump pump drainage go?

Regarding the sink drain, an iron filter could be 7 or 10 gpm during backwash. That might be too much for a lavatory drain. Figure you will run 3/4 inch pipe to the drain.
Yeah, both drains. I don't have them yet but I'm considering the Pentair Iron Reduction System and water softener.

The sump pump drains to a ditch between my and my neighbor's property. It's mainly just weeds and cattails.

Ohh good to know. Where would you drain each system to?

Reach4

Reaction score
Where would you drain each system to?
I would be concerned about freezing. Perhaps you could go to the ditch but also tee up into a higher laundry sink in case the pipe to the ditch freezes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks