Water softener flushing question

Users who are viewing this thread

ajcrm125

Reaction score
I'm looking to install a water softener for the home and had a quick question about where to flush the system. I currently have a corrugated pipe that runs outside my entire foundation (below the frost line) of which all my drain spouts are connected to. This pipe goes to daylight.

My plan was to just evacuate the filter into this existing pipe (run a line through the foundation etc). Any concerns about mineral buildup etc that might cause issues in the long run?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Build-up should not be a problem. However there will be some salt in the drain water. So it is not good for the plants at the outlet.

Last edited:

Matt Peiris

Reaction score
Mineral buildup is not much of a problem as documented below.

"A study conducted at the University of Wisconsin introduced the backwash brine only to the soil dispersal component, not to the septic tank. The report suggests that additional research is needed to evaluate the effects of backwash brine on septic tank flora and fauna. The report is also inconclusive as to whether or not water softener backwash brine is harmful to septic systems. Additionally, these studies were performed nearly three decades ago when the required levels of treatment were not as restrictive as they are today"
Source: http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/smart/pdf/sourcewater/SFQ_FW07_backwash.pdf

However, install an airgap on the drain to prevent cross-connections.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Hmmm, actually... follow local codes. If draining to the ground is allowed ie: French drain style, then go for it. Obviously you should avoid draining water softener waste to an irrigated area as the high amount of sodium, chloride will cause problems with SAR numbers. Assuming it is allowed, draining to a non critical area will be fine and it will not affect the drain pipe at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks