Water softener flexible connections

Users who are viewing this thread

Rodster

Reaction score
While I'm doing another plumbing project, I'd like to install flexible lines to the valve of my water softener. The original installation had 3/4 copper coming from the ceiling to a 90 into the valve. There was no support installed and eventually the plastic valve cracked and I needed to replace it. I've since adjusted the copper height (there was tension released when I disconnected the valve!) and added support to the cooper at the ceiling so everything slides together nicely.

Seems the best way to take advantage of flexible lines would be to have them come in from the sides so they could flex both vertically and horizontally but I don't want a kluge of plumbing to do this.

I may turn the water softener 90 degrees to save some floor space so that may solve the problem but if I don't rotate the unit how best to install flexible lines? I searched the forums but didn't see any pictures of flexible lines installed.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Water softener (2).JPG
    Water softener (2).JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 2,271
Reaction score
There should never be "tension" on all non-flexible plumbing, or else exactly what happened here, happens.

Often I would disconnect sink tailpieces from its trap, and bazinga, the rest of the ABS drain plumbing snaps away by a magnitue of many inches.

If you think you have corrected the coppers, and they are no longer giving any pull or pushing strain on the water softener, then this repair should be permanent without problem.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I agree with Standardair, now that you corrected the tension issue, there seems to be little benefit to installing flex.

If you still wish to proceed with flex, 2 straight sections of the vertical copper lines running upwards could be cut-out and replaced with 2 flex lines. That way, the two existing elbows remain behind the softener and the softener does not need to be moved away from the wall much if any

If you move the softener sideways a few inches, the flex could be formed to a 'Z' shape to provide some up and down flexibility in addition to side to side and front to back.

Rodster

Reaction score
Good info guys, thanks.

Yea, I believe I have corrected the tension issue which caused the problem initially but it's not too elegant (some strapping and rubber insulator) which is why I considered flex lines. I checked out an 18'' flex line at the store and was surprised how much force it took to make it flex and wondered if it would end up being as much tension as I had originally??? Never thought the flex lines were that stiff.

I'm sure I could clean up my current solution and align the copper to the valve perfectly but since the softener isn't anchored to the floor, flex lines would add a bit of security if the unit ever got bumped say when adding salt. But then again, how much movement will a flex line compensate for?

Hmmmmmmm....

I like the idea of moving the softener sideways a few inches to form the 'Z' if I can find some flex lines that aren't so stiff. Maybe small sections of garden hose! :D

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Maybe small sections of garden hose.
Maybe not. A long 3/4" s/s flex formed into a loop will provide all the flexing you need, in all directions, and won't make your water taste like it came through a garden hose :).

Rodster

Reaction score
Interesting, I never thought of a loop of s/s flex. Just wouldn't have the flavored water feature of garden hose. ;)

Reaction score
Yup, people loop braided supply lines all the time. If the minimum bend radius is respected, it'll be safe and friendly.

This is necessary when a rough is too close to a toilet or sink.

Braided supply lines can't be cut to length, so the idea is to get longer ones and just loop it.

ToiletSupply.jpg

adayrider

Reaction score
Loops alot easier then copper and is not as rigid. It does 90's fairly easy if given enough room. He says he adjusted the height (not sure how much) and was thinking about turning the softner 90 and posibly moving it over a little. It is alot less money than SS and fairly easy to work with. Just throwing ideas out there for him. I'm no pro and stay at the budget inn because I'm to cheap to pay holiday inn prices. That is why I'm here, trying to find a cheaper way to get softer water without paying a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks