Water Softener Drain Pipe? Pics included.

Users who are viewing this thread

botak

Reaction score
Appreciate if someone can confirm if i'm doing right.
Reason I'm asking (beside this project being my first) is because i notice water dripping from some drain pipe at the second level of my house as well as some flooding outside my house (pls see pics).

2006 house in Las Vegas, Nevada (newly purchased)

Appreciate if i can get some help.
Thank in advance!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
1. 30 drops per minute drip when? If that is connected to your softener, and it drips all of the time, your softener is broken. If that is connected to your air conditioner, it is probably normal.
2. Can you return this all-in-one unit and get a conventional water softener?
3. If 2 doesn't appeal to you, you might want to price a service contract.
4. Why did you also show the lower white drip pipe? Is that connected to the water softener? If so, what is your question?

If you are asking why there is water sitting in the irrigation box, that it could due to a slow leak in your irrigation system and unrelated to the first 3 pictures. It also could be rain water or sprinkler water that fell into the open cover.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The pipes that are sticking out of the house are typically water heater P&T lines, or air conditioner condensates, neither should be water softening. Softening should be run to sewage.

yesngo

Reaction score
I have a similar setup with the pre-plumbed 1/2 in drain line. When I hook it up, does it require any type of air gap? It looks like the picture above does not have one. Also, do I actually need a copper push connector like the one used above, or can I can put a plastic hose attached by a hose clamp? Since the drain is a low pressure system, I'm thinking it does not need to be secured that well.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a similar setup with the pre-plumbed 1/2 in drain line. When I hook it up, does it require any type of air gap? It looks like the picture above does not have one. Also, do I actually need a copper push connector like the one used above, or can I can put a plastic hose attached by a hose clamp? Since the drain is a low pressure system, I'm thinking it does not need to be secured that well.

That drain hose is not low pressure until it hits an air gap later. If there were an air gap before that pipe, that water would not make it through such a small pipe.

yesngo

Reaction score
I see. So the pre-plumbed drain has an air gap already built in somewhere down the line? Does that mean I need a more secure connector than just a hose clamp? What kind of connector would you recommend?

Reach4

Reaction score
I see. So the pre-plumbed drain has an air gap already built in somewhere down the line? Does that mean I need a more secure connector than just a hose clamp? What kind of connector would you recommend?

I don't know what is a the end of that pipe. I have never actually seen such a pipe. If it is intended for a water softener drain, I would presume there is such a gap at the other end.

Hose clamps can be very secure. If I wanted something more secure than a hose clamp, I would probably use 2 hose clamps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks