Water Softener Drain line to sewer - will this work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Offguard-2

Reaction score
I am installing a water softener on the side of my house. Almost directly below the loop, I have access to the sewer line with a 3" clean out plug. There is an 8" run from the plug to the side of the house where I'd like to run the PVC to air gap. Here is what I've come up with. Please let me know what needs to change.

I was going to use a sanitary tee 3x3x1-1/2". Add a clean out plug to the top so I'd still have access.
Run a 1-1/2" about 8" to the side of the house. Add p-trap.
Add air gap and connect PVC for the rest of the run.

Would I use a sanitary tee?
When should I reduce down to 1-1/2"?

IMG-0521 (1).jpg

Offguard-2

Reaction score
Just checking back in to see if anyone can provide some guidance. Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
The trap should have a vent above where you have the cleanout. That would have been a good place for an AAV if your code allowed the AAV (it does not).

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes should be a santee 3x3x1 1/2 is good. should be vented , though I've seen many a traps like that for swimming pools just like that with no vent, perhaps an AAV though I don't think that's legal here, I think I'd have more respect for an AAV than to go with nothing . BTW these pools I was talking about with no vent were new homes with new pools built in various OC cities.
I wouldn't run a vent up above the roof unless an inspector forced me, I'd be an outlaw LOL

Offguard-2

Reaction score
yes should be a santee 3x3x1 1/2 is good. should be vented , though ive seen many a traps like that for swiming pools just like that with no vent, perhaps an AAV though i dont think thats legal here, I think Id have more respect for an AAV than to go with nothing . BTW these pools I was talking about with no vent were new homes with new pools built in various OC cities.
I wouldnt run a vent up above the roof unless an inspector forced me, Id be an outlaw LOL
Thank you the replies. Would an air gap located at the transition to pvc drain line for water softener be enough?

Santee or Wye? A plumber suggested a wye. That’s the only reason I ask.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the drawing shows a combi ( manufactured combination wye and 1/8th ) should be a santee. I have no opinion as to whether using the incorrect wye would be a better choice if omitting the vent , to me its just another thing wrong. the air gap is an absolute necessity we don't want to mix poopy water with your water you cook , bathe , and drink.
I'd recommend the AAV though not legal , as for going ventless , I've seen it many many times just don't agree with it

Offguard-2

Reaction score
Here is an updated drawing with AAV. Please excuse any inaccuracies. Santee 3x3x1-1/2" leads to 1-1/2" p-trap to air gap to 3/4" PVC.

Would I use the AAV in place of the cleanout plug? I understand that the AAV has to be 4" above the horizonal branch.

Attachments

• IMG-0569.jpg
    IMG-0569.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 190

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That works fine you kind of loose your cleanout but just unscrew the AAV . I really like it . I think we need to amend code to allow AAV especially in these situations. Mostly I don't deal with inspectors much I wonder if most would allow it ? I sure wouldn't sweat it unless its permitted work subject to an inspection

Offguard-2

Reaction score
That works fine you kind of loose your cleanout but just unscrew the AAV . I really like it . I think we need to amend code to allow AAV especially in these situations. Mostly I don't deal with inspectors much I wonder if most would allow it ? I sure wouldn't sweat it unless its permitted work subject to an inspection

I realize it's been a while, but I still haven't completed this drain build and I've made some updates (only difference from the photo is reducing from 3" to 1-1/2" before the Sanitary Tee. I had a few questions on the smaller details since I've never built with ABS or PVC.

1 - I plan to use a 3" Hub x MPT Male adapter to replace come off the threaded sewer. Can I attach a reducer bushing (3" x 1-1/2") directly into the hub?

2 - Okay to use 1-1/2" Santee with Street Fitting into the reducer bushing?

Other than that, it seems rather straight forward.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know if you'll find a 3" male thread x 1 1/2 " slip bushing no issue with street santee

Offguard-2

Reaction score
I dont know if youll find a 3" male thread x 1 1/2 " slip bushing no issue with street santee
There would be 3 pieces for the initial build up.
(1) 3" male thread with hub from the sewer (this is where the clean-out plug is at the moment)
(2) 3x1-1/2 flush bushing into the hub from (1)
(3) I'd place the 1-1/2" street santee into the bushing (3)

My main question is can I attach (1) and (2) directly or would I need some straight pipe between the fittings?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks