Water Softener Drain Line Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

RobTex

Reaction score
Hi All,

There's a lot of advice and options with Google in tieing back into Laundry stand pipe. My set-up is frustrating, the prior owners never thought to put a drain in the garage and the main drain to the street is on the other side of the house. Our local plumber said best thing to do is drain it into the flower bed as the back of the garage wall is direct outside, which Google research says probably not the best idea, risky on the plants etc and he's probably trying to do the quickest thing for the $.

So I drew a diagram as best I can of my scenario attached - sorry I know it's not the best drawing but I hope it helps. The water softener would be in the garage, next to my laundry room. Above is attic space for full run of the drain line, but it's cutting it really close on distance to run ~22ft (unless increase pipe diameter) but a direct tie with p-trap(?) and air gap to waste stack, if possible, would be under 17 feet and no messing around with the laundry box and going down.

The laundry box has the hot/cold water pex coming down from the ceiling and then standpipe going down. This is a built house so laundry rooms have drywall on (i.e. pipe etc not exposed). The main house line runs in attic above the proposed location softener in CPVC. The waste stack to the outside, PVC, for the laundry room is less than .5 feet from the location of the laundry box.

Any advice in how to tie the drain line the easiest would be much appreciated!

Location - south Texas. Water Softener: Flex 5600sxt

Attachments

• Diagram.PNG
    Diagram.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 271

RobTex

Reaction score
Thanks Reach, they say 20 feet should be limit of length of line, do you think be ~2 feet over is ok coming down into the laundry box?

Reach4

Reaction score
If "they" don't change their recommendations based on the gpm involved, they are using oversimplification. I think you are referring to the number where they recommend upsizing to 3/4 inch.

What kind of pipe are you considering running? 1/2 inch PVC is pretty big. Even 1/2 inch PEX or 1/2 inch CPVC would be enough if your incoming water pressure was over 35 psi, I think.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks