Water Softener drain into grey water tank OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I will be installing a new Fleck water softener in my home in a couple weeks (when room remodel is complete).
The laundry room it is being installed in currently drains into a small concrete grey water tank in the yard (it is just washer and small laundry tray). This tank is unserviceable. Both times I have had the main septic system pumped out since I have been here I asked them to also pump out the grey water tank. After digging up the lid they both informed me it was not possible since the lid has been sealed shut.

So my question is...if I drain my brine into this tank is it going to be a problem? Will the salt eventually clog/fill the tank making it not work anymore?

Thanks,
Mike.

Mswlogo

Reaction score
It’s not pumpable any way. It’s a “tank” with holes in it.

Dumping water softener their is ideal.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are not reusing the water, I don't think gray water is the term you want. Instead I think that functions as a "dry well" accepting drainage that you don't want to put thru the septic tank. Semantics.

Mswlogo

Reaction score
I think of grey water to have no “poop” (no solids). But still not reused other than what Mother Nature does with it.

Mswlogo

Reaction score
So the salt brine will not slowly build up in the tank and clog or fill it?
My new septic system just installed explicitly says DO NOT backwash anything to the septic tank.

I think brine can disturb the good bacteria that helps your septic work efficiently.

They talk about it here. Salt sinks to the bottom and can cause the solids to float and end up in your leech field.

Reaction score
My new septic system just installed explicitly says DO NOT backwash anything to the septic tank.

I think brine can disturb the good bacteria that helps your septic work efficiently.

They talk about it here. Salt sinks to the bottom and can cause the solids to float and end up in your leech field.

I have also seen sites that say it helps the bacteria. I think it is still a science in question...however, the bacterial part isn't a concern in this case. No waste or solids go in this tank. It is purely for washing machine and a laundry tray discharge. The tank never gets pumped. My concern is that if the salt in the brine will settle to the bottom and eventually clog the drain holes in the tank or even fill it up beyond usefulness. I don't guess it matters at this point... it is installed, and there really isn't any other option unless I do like some of these companies and just pump it straight into the ground (which I never really thought was a good idea to do right next to your foundation).

bingow

Reaction score
...it is installed, and there really isn't any other option....
I went thru similar options, starting with a DIY dry well (too small) or draining to the septic tank. I was advised by our septic service that a better option was a dedicated drain that bypassed the septic tank and joined in at the leach field input. That was a lot of DIY work, some 75' of 1½" PVC, buried 12" deep, but 10 years later it continues to be trouble free, with green grass above the leach field. We're at 7,000' with cold winters, but the line doesn't freeze I suppose due to the salt. FYI it has an air gap at drain entry, and also a p-trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks