Water Softener, Do I have the right plan?

Users who are viewing this thread

paul8028081

Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks in advance for any help on this thread. Finally got a professional lab to test my water sample and here are the results for the key areas that are above the state recommended threshold:

Water Source: Well
Hardness: 129 mg/L or 7.54 grains
Iron: 6.45 mg/L
Manganese: .47/ mg/L
PH 6.68 pH
Turbidity 33 NTU
Radon - 264 pCi/L​

My flow rate from my submersible pump is 12 gpm.

My current setup is a Whirlpool 42,000 softener and a 1.5 Cu/ft Birm filter, which is not a good solution. Based on my research the Birm is essentially doing nothing in my pH level and the Whirlpool is lucky to have lasted as long as it has. I currently go through 3-4 bags of salt a month and we don't use that much water.

I've narrowed it down to a Katalox filter for the Iron/manganese and then a 64k grain softener, oversized to take on any additional iron which may make its way through or during a backwash (at night anyways).

Questions:
1.) Do I have a good plan for filter type and softener size?
2.) If so, how big of a cubic foot Katalox system should I look for?
3.) What kind of controller should I look for, looks like most are the 2510 sxt or 5600 sxt Flecks are the norm, but not sure which one is better.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
No iron reduction media works well with low pH without adequate oxygen or some sort of oxidant injection. Ignore the "ratings" you read from the manufacturers. It is impossible to accommodate all the potential variables.

Considering your high iron level, I would lean towards H2o2 injection ahead of a Katalox Light system then a softnener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks