Water Softener discharge to gutter instead of sewage?

Users who are viewing this thread

pdude

Reaction score
Water softener salesperson in Santa Clara, California said one could install a water softener (sodium-based) that during cleaning cycles would discharge into the bottom of a house gutter which empties directly into the street gutter (before it hits the storm drain) as opposed to going directly to sewage.

I had not heard that before as I thought it had to go to sewage? But maybe since it's just treated residue from water?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
California, only rain down the storm drain... no car wash water, no rinsing driveways, even irrigation overspray can be an offense. Definitely not softener drain. Unfortunately Santa Clarita is one of the few municipalities that has a legal residential softener ban. Many cities claim to have bans in place but most are unenforceable. Some cities have cute little enforcement methods.. most people ignore since the cities have not followed the legal way of banning softeners. Kind of like the way the city of LA banned automobiles in order to protect the environment many years ago.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks