Water softener, Decisions and Opinions

Users who are viewing this thread

Tab1011

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

So glad to find this forum!

I am in need of a water softener system. My hach-b test is coming out to 9 gpg and with 4 people currently in the house my calculation is a 32k will work easily. House has 5 baths, 3 are used primarily at this time.

I also want to get the chlorine out of my water and believe a carbon filter would help solve that.

From my readings I see there are concerns of getting chinese low quality parts. Any vendor(s) that someone can recommend or have experience with? I am looking at the Fleck 5600SXT as it seems the easiest to obtain and probably will replace the valve with the steel one. The resin size I am thinking is 1.5 CU.

Is it better to put a KDF 55 or purchase a 2 stage filtration that will go before the softener? Any suggestions on the filter would be appreciated, I am looking at something like this.. https://www.amazon.com/Home-Master-Filter-Sediment-Carbon/dp/B005A3WPA0

As much as I would like to DIY it but will hire a plumber to take care of the installation.

Thank you all for your input!

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this untreated water from you own well, or treated water from a city etc?
From my readings I see there are concerns of getting chinese low quality parts. Any vendor(s) that someone can recommend or have experience with? I am looking at the Fleck 5600SXT as it seems the easiest to obtain and probably will replace the valve with the steel one. The resin size I am thinking is 1.5 CU.
Sounds right. There appears there may be some advantage of the plastic bypass over the stainless steel. But stainless steel is certainly good.
Is it better to put a KDF 55 or purchase a 2 stage filtration that will go before the softener? Any suggestions on the filter would be appreciated,
Before looking at filtering, you should know what the water is like. I don't know KDFs.

Tab1011

Reaction score
Sorry it is city water I just notice the chlorine is very noticeable, enough to even make me use filtered fridge water to make coffee

Reach4

Reaction score
A backwashing carbon tank before the softener is a good solution. That will have a type of carbon, and if the city uses chloromine, that carbon will be a catalytic carbon.

Regarding a little cartridge filter instead of a backwashing filter, that is probably not up to the job.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Agreed, the KDF/Carbon filters are a joke for this application. A properly sized backwashing carbon system is the correct way to go.

Tab1011

Reaction score
A backwashing carbon tank before the softener is a good solution. That will have a type of carbon, and if the city uses chloromine, that carbon will be a catalytic carbon.

Regarding a little cartridge filter instead of a backwashing filter, that is probably not up to the job.

Could you give me an example of what I should be looking for?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks