Water Softener + Carbon Filter while on vacation

Users who are viewing this thread

Badsha

Reaction score
Hello,

I am leaving on vacation for two weeks. Should I shut off the carbon filter and water softener? Is there any issue If i let both on their normal cycles while away? My carbon filter regenerates every two weeks, should I set it to one month? I am on municipal water in a city. Thank you.

Bannerman

Reaction score
If no one will be using water within the home while away, I prefer to shut-off the main entrance valve when leaving. Not only would that reduce water damage if a fitting failed, it would also reduce the potential of submitting an insurance claim if there was a failure. Many insurance policies may not pay on a vacant house claim unless you can prove the house was inspected daily.

When shutting off the water, also pull the electrical plugs for the filter and softener and shut off the water heater. Once you return, then you could proceed to manually regenerate/backwash each device before use.

Badsha

Reaction score
I have Clack WS1 carbon and water softener valves. Should I just pull the plugs? I dont remember if the valve controllers have on/off buttons.

hypnosis4u2nv

Reaction score
I know I'm bringing up an old thread, but I'm in the same position except someone will be coming over to feed the pets while I am away, and that will require water usage. I will also have a cleaning person weekly to clean after them.

I plan on being away for a month, so wondering whether I should keep the softener plugged in or not, or should I just change the DO on it.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
DO should be set to 30 days anyways. The carbon tank is typically set to every 14-28 days so I would just ignore them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks