Water Softener Before Cistern?

Users who are viewing this thread

winesalot

Reaction score
Good Morning!!!

Currently I have a 547' deep well with a 5gpm 1hp 230v 1ph Grundfos Submersible Pump that pumps water in to a 3800 gallon cistern. From the cistern there is a 2" PVC pipe that feeds our winery which is 100' below the cistern and is fully fed with gravity (no pump). Within the winery we have three sections in order along the main water header: A small residence, a wine production facility, and a public tasting room. After opening the tasting room we discovered the water was hard enough that we simply could not keep out tasting room wine glasses spot free even when immediately drying them after coming out of a high temperature dishwasher. Therefore I installed a water softener between the main 1-1/2 building header and the 3/4" supply to the tasting room. This has worked perfectly.

However, we are getting ready to build our main home on the upper level of the property next to the cistern and will be installing a pump in the cistern to supply water to the house.

My question is: Would it be advisable to remove the water softener from it's current tasting room only location and install it between the well pump and the cistern thereby removing the hardness from all water uses or install a second softener for just the residence?

Thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
With a pump so shallow you could probably use a 10 gpm 1/2 HP pump. Those are about the cheapest submersible pumps. So if your pressure switch for the house is 40/60, this 10 gpm 1/2 hp pup gives at least 13 gpm. In pumps, bigger is not better.

You would want a 54 gallon pressure tank or bigger, unless you use a CSV. I would go for the WX-302, which I see is back in stock. WX0251 is big enough, but I think bigger diameter but shorter I think contributes to longer life. Tank would be a lot smaller with a CSV.

index.php

Last edited:

winesalot

Reaction score
Not sure what this /\ has to do with water softeners. I think you may have meant to respond to my other thread about a pump for the same application.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
For the pump, many modern options are now available that greatly simplify this issue at a reasonable cost. As to the softener question, it depends on the plumbing and the amount of water and the water quality. Do you have a water report and do you know how much water your total facility uses per day?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks