Water softener and white substance

Users who are viewing this thread

K Paterson

Reaction score
I have a water softener and Iron remover with air mazzi injector. I have tested my water pre equipment and post equipment, Hot and Cold. All my equipment appears to be set up perfectly as I had my water tested via a friend who has the Hach test kit. My water is soft with reading of 0.1 hardness, and no iron content. However, I still get that white rings on my countertop when any water drys. I also have that white calcium build up on all my shark connections? What causes this and how to fix the problem? My water is soft and feels soft. Any help I would appreciate it Thanks

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
White buildup on sharkbites… these fittings should be dry with no water leaking. We see a lot of white build up on some brass parts, usually the really cheap versions. This is usually dezincification caused by the manufacturer using too much Zinc in order to save some money during the manufacturing.

As to white stuff after the water dries, water softeners remove calcium/magnesium and exchange it for sodium. You will still have residue if the water is allowed to dry.

You may also have silica, this can act like hardness but worse.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks