Water Softener and Water Conditioner

Users who are viewing this thread

Lisa2020

Reaction score
Hello,

We have two tanks hooked up together, one is the water softener and I believe one is a water conditioner. Does that make sense to have two tanks set up like this? I do not believe the water conditioner has flow going through it as the flow indicator does not flash when running water. We just cleared a clog in the water softener
injector nozzle because it had no flow and now it is working.

Thanks,
Lisa

Bannerman

Reaction score
The device you call a conditioner, is more likely a backwashing filter containing media to address a specific water condition. If your water is sourced from a private well, there are a range of conditions that could be present such as iron, acidic water, hydrogen sulphide (sulfer odor), chemical contaminants etc. For municipal sourced water, often carbon media will be used to remove chlorine, chloramines and other contaminants.

Backwashing filters often do not utilize a flow meter but will usually backwash on a set schedule every so many days.

If your water is sourced from a private well, you may post the most recent lab test report for your raw water so we may be able to offer suggestions on the likely purpose for the conditioner. For municipal water, a link may be given to your town's or city's annual water quality report web page.

Last edited:

Lisa2020

Reaction score
The device you call a conditioner, is more likely a backwashing filter containing media to address a specific water condition. If your water is sourced from a private well, there are a range of conditions that could be present such as iron, acidic water, hydrogen sulphide (sulfer odor), chemical contaminants etc. For municipal sourced water, often carbon media will be used to remove chlorine, chloramines and other contaminants.

Backwashing filters often do not utilize a flow meter but will usually backwash on a set schedule every so many days.

If your water is sourced from a private well, you may post the most recent lab test report for your raw water so we may be able to offer suggestions on the likely purpose for the conditioner. For municipal water, a link may be given to your town's or city's annual water quality report web page.
Thank you. It is scheduled to backwash every three days. We are on a well. The only numbers I have is water hardness is 18, PH value 7, Iron 2 ppm

Reach4

Reaction score
Odds are it is an iron filter and maybe also H2S.

Do you like the water now that the softener is working?

I suggest you sanitize your well and plumbing. Nice-enough weather for it now. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ It is more involved than what most people do, especially time-wise. I think overkill is appropriate. Gallons of vinegar may be hard to find right now. Some other acids could be used, but they require a lot more carefulness and thought-out procedure to pre-dilute. A pH meter, with buffering solutions for every-time recalibration, could be used instead of pH test paper. You do want the high-range chlorine test paper.

Lisa2020

Reaction score
Odds are it is an iron filter and maybe also H2S.

Do you like the water now that the softener is working?

I suggest you sanitize your well and plumbing. Nice-enough weather for it now. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ It is more involved than what most people do, especially time-wise. I think overkill is appropriate. Gallons of vinegar may be hard to find right now. Some other acids could be used, but they require a lot more carefulness and thought-out procedure to pre-dilute. A pH meter, with buffering solutions for every-time recalibration, could be used instead of pH test paper. You do want the high-range chlorine test paper.
Yes, our water is nice(much better than the hard water). Thank you for the tip on the sanitizing. We will definitely do that.
Thank you again!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
What equipment do you have? Can you post a recent water report. pH above 9 can be safe, but why is it above 9? If you check the pH of many alkaline filters and pH adjusting water systems, water above 9 is common. It is actually very complex and not really a DIY topic worth going over in this forum. As to pH above 7... ignore 99% of the advice you read online, especially about water treatment. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks