Water Softener and Filter Flow Rate

Users who are viewing this thread

IslandFlyer

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks in advance for some advice!

We moved into a new house in GA and have city water. 3/4" line on the water softener loop and 2 adults/2 kids in a 2300sf home.

We are on a budget as we are in the middle of a big move, so I installed a 45,000 AO Smith water softener (I know...) from Lowes. I see that is 7gpm rated. Will it allow more than the 7gpm at a higher flow rate / less softening at peak demands, if that makes sense? Or will it just restrict the output to 7gpm?

I am looking to add a filter as well, the AO Smith inline filter is 7gpm. Is there any need to use a higher flow rate like the Aquapure AP904, or will the water softener restrict the flow anyways?

Ideally and in a few years I would like a nice system like the ones on here.

Thanks!

PXL_20220719_131703543.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The softener does not limit the flow to 7 GPM but exceeding the service flow rate will affect its ability to soften. The inline filter however likely will limit GPM depending on how dirty it gets.

IslandFlyer

Reaction score
Water filter finally installed. It's city water. 50 micron spin down and AP903. Do I need that much piping on the left side? for some reason I had in my head that the longer straight before the filter the better.

IMG-20220926-WA0000.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks