Water softener and AIO problems - choose A B C or none of the above?

Users who are viewing this thread

watersoftenerrookie

Reaction score
I was thinking the 6 gpm was more likely the well test recovery where drawdown is observed over a few hours.

The 20 gpm could be a lot of different things. It could be the water brought up at 0 psi surface. Well people often do this handy test after installing a pump. It could be the nominal number from the pump at 0 ft of head (likely with inferior well pumps), or could be the gpm rating on the pump at the most efficient pumping (normal well pumps). Knowing the pump make and model, depth to water, and maybe the depth the pump is mounted at and the well diameter would be best for analyzing your options.

To measure the gpm yourself, run water from at least two high-flow faucets (tub and hose bib for example) simultaneously, and measure the gpm by timing the time to fill 5 gallon buckets. And also check that while these simultaneous flows have been happening for maybe 10 minutes, what the water pressure at the pressure tank is. This is not an official methodology. I am not a pro. The point is to figure out how much backflow rate is available for maybe a 10 minute backwash while the pressure stays at at least 30 psi.

If the well can only maintain the required flow for a couple minutes due to running short of water, it is possible to get a controller that can do a series of 2 minute backwashes with a well recovery period between.

I've attached what the state well report says.

The 6 gpm came from the well inspection prior to the home sale in which a well company came in and ran the water for 50 minutes and ran 300 gallons. At least that's what the report says.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 167

watersoftenerrookie

Reaction score
As for KL my well pump is capable of 20 gpm but when the well inspection was done it said 6 gpm. This seems like it could be a concern with the KL since it would require a higher backwash rate.

The well technicians determined you had a 6GPM flow restrictor? Or their well recovery/flow test rated your well at producing 6GPM?

They ran the water for an hour and collected it. It says they ran it for 50 minutes and ran 300 gallons. I know nothing more than that.

Reach4

Reaction score
've attached what the state well report says.

The 6 gpm came from the well inspection prior to the home sale in which a well company came in and ran the water for 50 minutes and ran 300 gallons. At least that's what the report says.
The 20 gpm pump referred to in that test is likely one used just for testing. The pump you have installed for your home use is likely a different pump.

The report says running out of water during backwash is not going to happen unless a drastic and unlikely thing happened to your well.

With your 7 inch well, if you ever do get the pump pulled, add a flow inducer sleeve over the new pump. It is cheap and it cools the pump motor effectively.

watersoftenerrookie

Reaction score
The 20 gpm pump referred to in that test is likely one used just for testing. The pump you have installed for your home use is likely a different pump.

The report says running out of water during backwash is not going to happen unless a drastic and unlikely thing happened to your well.

With your 7 inch well, if you ever do get the pump pulled, add a flow inducer sleeve over the new pump. It is cheap and it cools the pump motor effectively.

That's reassuring. It was not funny when one of these vendors said I needed a more up to date well. Do these folks have any ethics?

Reach4

Reaction score
That's reassuring. It was not funny when one of these vendors said I needed a more up to date well. Do these folks have any ethics?
If you understood correctly, I would tend to say no.

It could be you need a new well pump and you only heard "well", but the test (or a time-abbreviated version) would show that.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Wish I had more time to read this whole thread in detail but I have a hockey game in an hour so...

Just a few quick comments. Do not mix KDF with other medias, it does not work. KDF is an amazing media but it must be applied correctly in order for it to work properly.
Vesta is good, no worries, it is a Clack valve with Vortech original tank. If you have a local dealer that offers that product, you should do well.
Katalox light does just fine, I have been selling it since it was introduced and this is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that. We have it in use with H2s levels in excess of 100 PPM without a problem. This is obviously way beyond its design specifications. We are also using it in applications in excess of 75 ppm iron... again, many times over its design specifications.
H2o2 is not usually done with AIO, it is either or. H2o2 is preferred for higher levels of iron, H2s, etc. Low levels, AIO tends to work.
Get a real water test as listed earlier, don't bother with the "free" tests.
Since water has an infinite number of variables, there is no one size fits all or even fits most design. A comprehensive water test will help guide us into helping you design a proper system.
KDF in a reticulated foam cube format is something that I have been using for a decade. We are expanding this product line over the next couple of years and have replaced granular KDF in many of our applications. Granular KDF must be backwashed at no less than 25 GPM per ft2, so a 10" tank would need at least a backwash rate of 15 gpm, but higher backwash rates are preferred.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks