Water softener. A problem I cannot solve and money hasn't fixed

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
If i have him come back, and add a check valve to both sides and water hammer comes back ( i dont know why it would've disappeared). What exactly can I do after that happens? Do i remove the check valves and just have to live with the aggressive backflow? I don't have any room else where to add another expansion tank. Today while I manually regenerated my water softener while the backflow was happening. It ended up backflowing salt into my fridge and I had to cycle water through to get the salt out. Yuck.

I just want to get this fixed, I found my dream home and these issues i've been chasing for months. I'm 600$ in the repair so far with no resolve.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I believe that I totally get it, basically when the sprinklers come on there is so much draw that it draws
down your pressure back through the water softener...

.I dont know what kind of check valves you installed in the system
but I know that the spring loaded ones seem to really keep a lid on things better than the simple cheap
flapper type ones do.... and I have no idea if this will work or not
its your money and you can throw as much at the system as you wish... I am not promising you anything.

The problem with the older Autotrol water softeners is they are usually hard plumbed
into a brass bonnett in the back of the unit.... this is usually an absolute pain in the neck down the road to make repairs to the meter inside the unit and re-plumb something into the lines.....

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/8a....jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

If your autotrol is an older unit anyway like 15 years or more,
with this brass bonnett,
.... consider upgrading to a Clack and install flex conncetors into the lines....
if you simply had flex connectors on the back of the unit you could tweak the system as you wished..... adding the spring loaded checks onto the flex connectors instead of having to find a spot to cut into the plumbing system and add them permanently..........

Take Note how we added a PRV valve to the back of this water softener because we had flex connectors installed to the unit... very simple, very easy to do

https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/NhBjht8QRZKGciDGvWaFOg/o.jpg

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/cWIPgn_Eg0duyY66uTrILg/o.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks