Water softener 101

Users who are viewing this thread

Niccolo

Reaction score
Can someone point me toward a resource to help me get up to speed on water softener options?

I live on the Central Coast of California, with fairly hard municipal water, and am trying to figure out my options for having a water softener installed. My home was built in the early-2000s and is already plumbed for a softener. For example, one option is to hire a plumber to install an appropriately-sized Fleck or other softener (presumably that would include having the water analyzed to determine the right size of system). Another option is to purchase a system from a company like Culligan (presumably they deal with all of the details, at some non-trivial markup cost).

How should I be thinking about these, and other, options?

Appreciate any assistance!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The water department may be able to provide the hardness info, even if they don't publish it. You would want max hardness, rather than the average they often offer.

Culligan would do it all, but would probably cost more than others who can do it all.

Asker123

Reaction score
Isn't Culligan etc not favored on this forum due to proprietary technology and you depend upon them to fix if anything goes wrong?
Not sure when you mentioned Fleck, were you talking about just the Valve or entire system. A softener system typically is combination of 3 components - the softener itself ( Resin cylinder) , a valve that sits at top of the Resin cylinder and a Brine Tank. There are some cabinet style softeners that combine all these in a single unit but reading posts here, that is also not encourage here.

Fleck only makes the valves. You need to find out some reputed water companies in your area. They might offer a fleck valve with other two components . There are some reputed online vendors as well. you can buy from them and then engage a plumber just to install.

Sizing is not complex. People can help you here, if you let them know your hardness and your typical usage .

For example I have this system (I am in Canada). It has Fleck 5810SXT valve but I heard that Fleck 5600SXT has been much reliable.

You can learn about sizing on following link. Sizing is first question

I think Fleck valve technology is now no more patented so some companies are offering even more robust valves. Read this ( this is in US btw)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks