Water smells

Users who are viewing this thread

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
I finally got my well pump in place after letting my well sit for a couple of months. It's 180 ft and the pump is sitting at around 170 ft. It makes around 1 gpm so I hooked a cycle sensor up to it to protect the pump. At first the water came out very dirty and swampy smelling. I left power to the pump so it can flush the well whenever the timer runs out on the cycle sensor. This is the third day it's been on and the water is much clearer but I still have a slight smell. Is it too early to tell what's going on or do I need to shock it now? Think the smell will go away with constant flushing?

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure. I need to see how long it will pump 10 gpm to get an idea of the gallons it's producing now. We've had tons of rain so it might be producing more than average right now.

Would a slight rotten egg smell be gas in the water or possibly a sanitation issue?

Reach4

Reaction score
The reason that I am asking is because your H2S solution might involve a backwashing filter. The amount that can take can vary. 100 gallons is probably plenty. If you only had 40, that could work too, but you would take that into account in the design. You aren't dealing with iron I guess. There are solutions that take care of H2S and iron at the same time.

I would go ahead with sanitizing. That might have a really good effect by itself.

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
The reason that I am asking is because your H2S solution might involve a backwashing filter. The amount that can take can vary. 100 gallons is probably plenty. If you only had 40, that could work too, but you would take that into account in the design. You aren't dealing with iron I guess. There are solutions that take care of H2S and iron at the same time.

I would go ahead with sanitizing. That might have a really good effect by itself.

So basically I take a couple cups of chlorine. Dump it in the well and just stick the end of the poly pipe down in the casing so it circulates and rinses down the casing? Then shut if off and let it set for how long before firing it back up? I don't need water to my house for probably 3 weeks so it's not hooked up. I'm just pumping the water out in my pasture

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks