Water service line - routing between meter and house

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric H.

Reaction score
DIYer here... in the middle stages of designing a custom home in Auburn WA. The city ordinances/engineering details are silent on the water service line between the meter and the house. I know that the local inspector will have the final word but wanted to understand some likely code interpretations that I will need to consider.

This is a hillside property and the house "falls away" with a modest slope from the front street - with a substantially wide (23') crawlspace in the front then dropping down to a daylight basement at the rear of the property. My original thought was to go from the meter at the street in a straight line to basement mechanical room wall - putting the main shutoff right inside the mechanical room where it is most convenient. But that would mean trenching 23' under the crawlspace to get there - not a big deal unless someone else needs to dig it up sometime. Another option is to route the water line along the side of the house and have it enter closer to the basement - but now we are talking about some substantial s-turn like bends and/or joints and there currently (in the design) is not a super convenient place to locate a shutoff valve on that immediate interior wall.

When I look at the IRC, P2903.9.1 Service valve talks about "...shall be provided with an accessible main shutoff valve near the entrance of the water service..." So is the "entrance" construed to be where the line crosses under the threshold of the foundation wall for the crawlspace (at the very front of the house)? Or the transition from the soil outside the basement wall into the interior of the basement level mechanical room?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Different plumbing codes and different jurisdictions define " water service " differently. your safest bet is to ALWAYS get confirmation with your local building department for their requirements.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have not done new construction for a while in Washington. It used to be that the main shutoff for the home could be most anywhere.

In the 70's when a lot of homes were concrete for the first level, we would aim for a corner of the garage near the garage doors, add a hosebib there while we were at it.
The more homes with with a crawl space, and shutoffs were sometimes in the cabinet for the powder bath downstairs, or under the stairs leading to the upstairs.
Sometimes near the water heater in the garage.
Western Washington wants 24" of cover over a pipe, not needed in a crawl space though. They do want insulation in a crawlspace.

And it's always a good idea to check with the local inspector as things change and everybody sees it a little differently.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Each job can be different to a degree . and the geographical area has different requirements and weather considerations.
Straight shot 23 foot I like that ! put a sleeve sounds like a winner to me run it by inspector

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks