Water service line from street...

Users who are viewing this thread

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I recently encountered a situation where a black plastic (the roll type) pipe was coming in from the street (service) -- I am trying to determine what kind of pipe it is, there are no markings that were legible. What are some options?

It is connected to a 1">3/4" NPT -- like a 1" slip fitting (not sure if that's the right name for it) on one end and a 3/4" NPT on the other copper fitting with two hose clamps!!! (Yikes??!?).

(I won't even tell you that the power was grounded to this mess.)

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
OldPete said:
I recently encountered a situation where a black plastic (the roll type) pipe was coming in from the street (service) -- I am trying to determine what kind of pipe it is, there are no markings that were legible. What are some options?

It is connected to a 1">3/4" NPT -- like a 1" slip fitting (not sure if that's the right name for it) on one end and a 3/4" NPT on the other copper fitting with two hose clamps!!! (Yikes??!?).

(I won't even tell you that the power was grounded to this mess.)

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like whats called a "ford" fitting, I could be wrong...also...the power is supposed to be grounded on the water main.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
Sounds like whats called a "ford" fitting, I could be wrong...also...the power is supposed to be grounded on the water main.

I don't know about the fitting name, but I *do* know that the power is NOT suppose to grounded on the water main when the main isn't metal!!! It is suppose to be on a rod/acorn set-up. That much I *do* know.

Now... back to figuring out what I got. :)

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Sounds like an insert (barbed) fitting on the end of that poly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks