Water Service For Three Shower Heads And A Tub Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Sichuan

Reaction score
I'm converting my bathtub into a bathtub/shower combination. When completed, I will have water going to the tub spout, the main, fixed shower head located above the tub, a rainshower head located at the center of the ceiling above the tub and a handheld shower head assembly.

I'll be using the GrohFlex Universal Rough-In system and the Grohflex Authentic Dual Function Pressure Balance Trim With Control Module between the tub spout and the main, fixed shower head. I'm trying to determine how to get water to the rain shower head and the hand held shower head and how to be able to switch between th0se two shower heads. I will not be using more than one shower head at a time.

I won't be able to use the free Delta products I received because they will work with only one shower head. I would not be able to switch from the rainshower head to the hand held shower head. Should I buy another rough-in and cartridge/control, feeding it from the water supply lines before the water reaches the the control for the tub/main, fixed shower head, and place it in a different location or can I use a diverter located below the fixed, main shower head? Am I assuming correctly that if I use a dual or triple diverter (I don't know which one I need) attached to the tubing supplying water to my fixed, main shower head I won't need a second rough-in box and dual function cartridge to feed the rainshower head and the hand held shower head? I should then be able to control the tub spout and the three shower heads from one control, the water temperature and volume being adjustable for all of them. Again, only the tub spout or one of the three shower heads will be in use at any given time. Also, it seems that the tub and shower outlets on the GrohFlex rough-in box are the same size so I should not have to install it upside down for increased flow to the shower head. Is my assumption correct or is there something inside the valve that I can't see that sends more water to the shower head, which would explain why both outlets are the same size?

I apologize for my ignorance and I thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided. I also apologize for the length of my post. I know that many people won't read a post this long.

GrohFlex Universal Rough-In  And Grohflex Dual Function Pressure Balance Control Module.jpg

GrohFlex Hand Held Shower Assembly And Rainshower Head.jpg

Last edited:

Sichuan

Reaction score
You need a diverter valve. To get one that matches the trim, you'll need one of the rough-in valves shown in this diagram https://cdn.cloud.grohe.com/tpi/2000/2000/2010/2017/2017290/original/2017290.pdf

Thank you very much. I appreciate your assistance. I had earlier found a three way diverter and two trim kits. I think the diverter is similar to the one provided in your link. I think this is the way I'm going to go. I'll plumb it into the main, fixed shower head tubing. I now have to ascertain whether or not the two trim kits I found are compatible with the diverter.

https://smile.amazon.com/GROHE-2990...4146983&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/GROHE-2910...1FBV8RQBGQJ&psc=1&refRID=H2P2SYKVK1FBV8RQBGQJ

https://www.plumbersstock.com/grohe-118307-europlus-5-function-diverter-trim-chrome.html

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Trim is rarely cross-compatible between brands and, you'll find that even in what is called the same finish, there may be differences between brands. It's best to stick with the same brand and within the same family so the trims will match and fit.

Sichuan

Reaction score
Trim is rarely cross-compatible between brands and, you'll find that even in what is called the same finish, there may be differences between brands. It's best to stick with the same brand and within the same family so the trims will match and fit.

Thanks again, jadnashua. Everything I have is Grohe so I'll go with a Grohe rough-in and a compatible Grohe trim kit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks