Water Running Constantly From Shower-head and Hand-held.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Hank A, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Hank A

Hank A New Member

Custom shower new construction house. Plumber installed Delta R22000 Multi-Choice Diverter. See pic. Outlet 1 to shower-head. Outlet 2 to handheld. Outlet 3 plugged. In rough-in pic, handheld elbow is on left. The handheld, not shown, will be mounted on blocking above elbow. Shower-head, not shown, will be above the Delta rough-in valve. Delta T27897 Trim with 3 setting diverter installed. Delta cartridge RP51918 was installed. Problem is: No matter which setting, (See PDF), the diverter handle is on: 1st position, 2nd position, or 3rd position: BOTH the shower-head and handheld run water at the same time. Called Delta. New RP51918 shipped and installed. Same problem occurred again. Water running from both shower-head and handheld. Plumber and I cant figure it out. Plumber has installed a number of these. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

R22000 pic.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2021
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Sometimes, you can insert the cartridge 180-degrees out...shut the water off, pull it out, and see if it will go in 180-degrees out. If it does, turn the water back on and see what happens.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Tom bo

Tom bo New Member

Hi Hank- did you ever solved this.. I have exactly the same problem.. no matter what setting I put the diverted on water is coming out of all options

5. Blaine Bailey

Blaine Bailey New Member

Me 3! I now know my contractor f-ed up the install by capping the left outlet on a rs22000-ws. The cartridge I have will not work. I tried to use a 6 way cartridge but water flows to both the rain head and shower head regardless of diverter setting. Can someone help us PLEASE!

6. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Plug right diverter port (3) (marked as 3 on rough-in box) if using a 3 function diverter

Delta R20000.PNG

7. Tony84

Tony84 New Member

I have the same problem. I have a 6 function diverter that does not work. I get constant water on my shower head and handheld on all 6 functions. I have noticed that my handheld has little less pressure but I don’t know what that means. Also, when I put the water in hot my shower head get the hot water first and it takes a while for the handheld to get hot. Again, I don’t know what that means.

My plumber and the plumbing supply company seemed surprised like they have never heard of this. The plumbing supply company ordered me a new 6 function cartridge (Delta). I’ll let you guys know if the new cartridge fixes the problem.

8. Blaine Bailey

Blaine Bailey New Member

It is too late to make that change. I would have to rip out tile and wall to get to the pipes. I was told a 6-way cartridge would solve the problem. I bought one on Amazon ($85) but it did not work. Water came out of both heads regardless of the setting. That’s why I posted here looking for help as are the other two guys.

In the meantime I purchased another 6-way cartridge from Build.com ($105) thinking that maybe the one from Amazon was a “compatible” - meaning non-OEM - cartridge that was worthless.

I installed the OEM cartridge from Build.com and I now have a properly functioning 3-way diverted! Granted the dial turns to 3 other positions that don’t function but I can live with that. With the diverted at the “noon” position (straight up) the rain head has full pressure. At the 2 o’clock position I get flow to both the rain head and traditional shower head on the back wall. At the 4 o’clock setting I get flow only from the standard head on the back wall.

It will turn to the 8 & 10 o’clock position but there little to no flow from either head. Problem solved well enough for me. For what it is worth, the OEM was more difficult to install for this DIY-er, When installing it, it took more effort to line up the cartridge making me think that perhaps my installation was part of the problem with the cheap cartridge I got from Amazon.

I hope this will help someone who is experiencing a Delta diverter problem similar to what we’re dealing with.

9. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

So probably the original got damaged by heat or some other external force.. then the amazon replacement was counterfeit, which seems to be a big problem buying online lately.

10. Tony84

Tony84 New Member

So I figured out why my shower head and handheld had water coming out in all 6 functions. I hope your fix is as simple as mine.

The fix:
    What I didn’t realize was that the two keys/teeth (2 of them) located on the cartridge exterior shell were not aligned with the groves (2 of them) located on the valve. This caused the three holes on the cartridge not to have a perfect seal. What I would tell everyone is that when these parts are NOT aligned they feel like you have perfect fit. I’ve posted pictures to show the keys and groves you need to align. Hope this solves your problem.

1A2DBF38-3C40-4A5B-B6D2-06664E118AB3.jpeg

D13AF5A8-9A17-4960-ACFF-AADFD73576F5.jpeg

02A657C2-F00F-4C5B-AC68-338C89B9E73C.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge likes this.