Water Pump Won't Stop Running

Users who are viewing this thread

plassey

Reaction score
My water pump won't stop running. I have done some troubleshooting and this is what I have found:

1. The pump has two lines that draw water from my well into my basement, and the pump is drawing water - all the faucets work.
2. The psi on the gauge is around 42-44.
3. There are no leaks anywhere the house (pump keeps running even though I shut the water off to the house)
4. The expansion tank is pressurized and won't accept any more air
5. I shut the electricity off to the pump and left it overnight. Did not use any water overnight, but there was very little pressure in the morning.

So, I think the system just won't reach shut-off pressure. Any thoughts on what the issue might be? It's an old system (pump and tank), but I would rather not replace it all if I don't have to.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. The pump has two lines that draw water from my well into my basement, and the pump is drawing water - all the faucets work.
So you have an above-ground jet pump with the jet down the well. Your well is probably 2 or 3 inches ID.
2. The psi on the gauge is around 42-44.
To increase that, you would probably have to get a well person to come in and fix that. For now, your best cheap action is to reduce the pressure switch to 20/40, and reduce the air precharge on the pressure tank to 35.

4. The expansion tank is pressurized and won't accept any more air
Precharge is always set with water pressure zero.

5. I shut the electricity off to the pump and left it overnight. Did not use any water overnight, but there was very little pressure in the morning.
You may have a leaky foot valve down the well, or something is using water. If you repeat the test, use the valve to stop water to your house so that the icemaker or humidifier or toilet will not get water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you say the pressure tank won't accept any more air, what exactly do you mean and how did you determine that?

What are the settings on your pump pressure switch? Something like 40-60? If it plateaus at slightly over 40, there's likely a leak somewhere and the pressure can't build up to the upper cutoff point.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a 2 pipe jet pump, there should be a back pressure valve on the discharge of the pump. If adjusting this back pressure valve does not increase pressure/flow, then something is not right. Could be a hole in the well pipe, Jet assembly worn or clogged, or the pump impeller is worn.

plassey

Reaction score
With a 2 pipe jet pump, there should be a back pressure valve on the discharge of the pump. If adjusting this back pressure valve does not increase pressure/flow, then something is not right. Could be a hole in the well pipe, Jet assembly worn or clogged, or the pump impeller is worn.

Thanks. What does the "back pressure valve" look like, and how is it adjusted?

plassey

Reaction score
When you say the pressure tank won't accept any more air, what exactly do you mean and how did you determine that?

What are the settings on your pump pressure switch? Something like 40-60? If it plateaus at slightly over 40, there's likely a leak somewhere and the pressure can't build up to the upper cutoff point.

I tried pumping air into the pressure tank, thinking it was losing pressure, but it was difficult to pump any in.

plassey

Reaction score
To increase that, you would probably have to get a well person to come in and fix that. For now, your best cheap action is to reduce the pressure switch to 20/40, and reduce the air precharge on the pressure tank to 35.

I turned down the pressure switch and it has become clear to me that the switch will need to be replaced, as it is not functioning correctly. After I shut off the breaker and turn it on again, the pump starts, but immediately cuts out, which tells me that turning the switch down worked. Then, when I use water, thus reducing the pressure, it switches on again (at around 30psi). However, it reaches 44psi again without shutting off - unless I turn off the breaker again. When I do that and turn the breaker on again, it starts and then immediately cuts out like before. So, in short, the only time the cut-out switch works is when I turn the breaker off and then on again. Otherwise, the pump keeps running.

I realize a new switch will not fix the pressure problem, but it may work for a temporary solution to the pump running constantly.

Reach4

Reaction score
I realize a new switch will not fix the pressure problem, but it may work for a temporary solution to the pump running constantly.
Good move. While you are at it, test the pressure tank. When the pressure gets to 43 or 44, stop all water use, and turn off the pump.

Then measure how much water the pressure tank can supply. A 5 gallon bucket can be used as a measure. Expect a good tank to deliver about 25% of the pressure tank's nominal size. If the water delivered is a lot less, the pressure tank will need replacing too.

You would still be left with the pump that can only deliver 44 psi. So more to work on later. For now, the pressure switch will help a lot.

When you adjust, just adjust the 3/8 nut on the big spring. That raises or lowers both the cut-in and cut-out together.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Since the pump does shut off at times, it could be a bad pressure switch and/or the tube to the switch clogged. Check the pressure tank air charge, replace the switch/gauge and clean the tube to the switch before working on the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks