Water pump running when water is not in use

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark624

Reaction score
Hello. I have been reading some of the posts about water pumps running when the water is not in use. Mine is running about every 30 minutes or so. I am pretty sure there are no leaks in the house, so it looks as if the check valve, the foot valve or a leak in the line from the well to the house are the most likely causes. I do notice that our water has a grey tint to it...not sure if it is a coincidence, we had a dry spell for quite while and now have had significant rain. Not sure where to start, any advice would be great.

Reach4

Reaction score
Where is your pump? In the basement, in the yard, down the well?

Do you have a shut-off valve after the pressure tank? If you close that valve, does the pressure loss stop or does it drop enough to turn on the pump every 30 minutes?

Mark624

Reaction score
Where is your pump? In the basement, in the yard, down the well?

Do you have a shut-off valve after the pressure tank? If you close that valve, does the pressure loss stop or does it drop enough to turn on the pump every 30 minutes?

Pump is in the basement.

I will check for shut off valve tomorrow and start there... thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
How many pipes go down the well?

Maybe post a picture of the pump and the things around it.

Mark624

Reaction score
The pump is mounted on the old tank which is no longer in use, but it was easier to leave it mounted when we installed the new tank....

Mark624

Reaction score
I tried to upload a photo again this morning with no luck. Pump was actually running every 20 minutes last night, as of this morning it's running about every 12 minutes. I am getting the feeling that it is a leak in the line outside between the well and the house. After work may have to start some digging...

Would any other issue attribute for the grey tint to the water? Or does that signify that the line must be open somewhere?

Reach4

Reaction score
How many pipes go down the well?

Is your system like one of these?
shallow-well-jet.jpg

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Leak someplace, given the gray water it could be a hole in the pipe spraying directly on the wall of the well and washing away some soft rock.

Throw away the jet pump and install a good quality submersible for a more reliable, easier to service, quieter system that will be more efficient.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks