Water pump is acting very odd...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mid Night Illusions

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm back again lol

So I have a new problem, this is what's happening please let me know what you think.....

So the other morning I get up and I'm having a shower and about 5 mins into my shower the water shuts off and when I mean shuts off it was like someone went and shut the main valve off....
So I got out and got changed and went and tried the water again and there was full pressure like nothing was wrong...
So ok I just blew it off like nothing was wrong, so a couple days later as in today I was cooking supper and this is what happened....
I was at the kitchen sink and was running the water now keep in mind this happens with Hot and Cold water. So anyways I'm at the sink running the water and again it just shuts right off....so I left the taps going and standing there dumb founded and I could here the pump/motor running/buzzing for only like 15 seconds andit shut off and still no water, then I herd it kick on again for another 15 seconds still no water so I left the taps on and went down stairs to the pump and the gauge read zero and the relay switch was stuck on but it wasn't running so I sat there and watched it and it kicked on a couple more times but then each time 15 seconds later it shut off and the gauge still read zero, so I went back to the kitchen sink and shut the taps off and the pump kicked on and stayed on and about a min later I turned the taps back on and there was water...?????

I'm confused what could this possibly be? like the pump is old but it still works but won't build water pressure unless the taps are off...?

Oh and I'm on a well and there's lots of water, the pump is inside the house as well.

Please help I'm still leaning all this I'm a new home owner.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would check the line going to the pressure switch for crud first, then the pressure switch contacts

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I hate to have to tell you this but, I think the overload in you motor is tripping. They are auto resetting and will let try to restart the pump after a few minutes. Apparently after a few tries it will start. If you have a control box check the capacitors and relays or try a new box. If it continues to do the same thing, you will need a new pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks