Water pump cycling off and on. Switch stays on. Pressure at gauge drops to 10 PSI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Will_

Reaction score
This just started. With the shower running, the water completely stopped. After about a minute it turned back on. It did this a few more times. I watched the gauge at the pressure tank manifold and it was at 30 PSI (which is the cut on point). It then stopped, but the switch didn't click and dropped to 10 PSI. Waited and it started again. Still no click. I think the switch is active the whole time.

125' deep 1/2 HP gould 7g-505422. 18 years old. I replaced the tank, switch, gauge, etc a few years ago.
Motor: Franklin 2445059004

Reach4

Reaction score
1. While the water pressure dropped to 10 psi, did water continue to flow from faucets? This question is trying to figure out if the pump is still pumping, but putting a lot less energy into it.

2. If you turn the pump off, and open a faucet, will the gauge drop to zero? This checks one aspect of the pressure gauge.

3. If you put a voltmeter across terminals 2 and 3 during this episode, do you read 240 vac? This would indicate that the pressure switch is passing full voltage toward the pump.

Will_

Reaction score
1. I think 10 psi may just be the lowest it read or the angle I saw it, but no water did not flow.
2 and 3 I'll check in the morning.

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully it narrows it down.

Will_

Reaction score
I need to get new batteries for my tester, but as far as I can tell, the contacts on the switch stay engaged during the cycling.

Ran faucets and shower.
It ran at least 5 minutes.
PSI goes to 10 and slower to about 6. Never lower than 6.
Turns on quickly to 30 and then maybe 32 shuts off. Turns back on and gets up to 40 and off. Then on again and gets to about 60.
The switch is a 40 / 60. The contacts remained engaged the whole time.

The last time there was an issue the switch tube was clogged. I think that caused it to run more though if I remember correctly.

Thinking it is never getting to a cutoff pressure. I thought the on off was about 30 / 50, but it's been a while since I installed it all.

Will_

Reaction score
I left it off for a while with the faucet open. The minimum the gauge says is 6 PSI.

I thought keeping it off for a while would left the pump rest. I turned it on and it ran about 30 seconds and turned off. It got to about 30 PSI. contacts were still engaged. After about a minute, it turned back on this time only about 5 seconds. It was at about 40 PSI. Contacts still enaged. It will now continue to do that and get up some PSI, but I think gets to about 50 PSI.

I can feel the pipe to tell exactly when the pump stops although the contacts are engaged.

My thought is it must be the pump since it will run longer to 30 PSI and then was less and less as the pressure was higher.

Will_

Reaction score
Do you think that means the water level is low in the well? I was wondering that but just wondered why it would run for 30 seconds to quickly fill the pressure take to 30 and then run less to get the pressure up.

Do you know if there is a precise timing for the thermal overload to reset? Still what does that really mean?

Will_

Reaction score
I imagine it would be fairly impossible for me to pull out a 125 ft deep pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
In addition to other things, you need a new pressure gauge.

I expect you and I have different definitions of possible and impossible.

Will_

Reaction score
Reach4 - The contacts are disengaged right now and the pressure gauge shows 50 PSI, which seems correct in terms of being 30 on 50 off.

Will_

Reaction score
I just got a quote for replacing it:

$1741 parts and install up to 200 ft.

She is saying the pump. I just find that price a little too good to believe. I asked her if that was with the motor and she didn't think it had a separate motor. She is double checking with the plumbing supervisor and will call me back tomorrow.

Online prices for the parts are $1450. When the petcock was leaking, another plumbing company charged about $450 for the job.

Will_

Reaction score
Actually found a site that shows the parts together at $954. So looks like a good quote to me.

Will_

Reaction score
It completely died. A guy is going to replace it tomorrow with a torque arrestor for $1600. Also he is going with a 3/4 HP. I got a few quotes and asked one specifically said they don't do torque arrestors typically. They wanted $1750. Also they started the whole thing with trying to up sale.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks