Water Pressure Tank - constantly switching on and off

Users who are viewing this thread

tcs5c

Reaction score
My water pressure tank doesn't seem to be holding any water. It is set to "call for" water when it reaches 40 psi and "turn off" at 60 psi, but the pressure drops instantly when someone uses any water in the house. Thus, it is repeatedly getting new water from the well for even a simple toilet flush (flush = psi drops to 40 then back up to 60 for ~3 times per flush). The water also seems to surge when washing hands .... you can notice the water pressure not being strong and then surging when it is at the 60 psi level.

I don't know if it is due to a clog somewhere or I should drain / refill the pressure bladder in the tank.

Guidance is greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually indicates a failed pressure tank. Turn off your pump, and run the water pressure down. At that point the tank should be empty. I expect yours will be fairly full. Knock on it. It will probably not sound empty. Even at 41 psi, the tank should be close to empty.

How old is yours, and what model is it?

You can do more testing and experiments, if you want to spend the time or have interest in experimenting.

Test 1. When the pump runs next, turn off all water use while the pump is running. When the pump stops, turn off the pump (open the breaker if you don't have a separate switch). Fill a 5 gallon bucket. The tank should be able to deliver at least 25% of the nominal size in water. I expect yours will deliver significantly less.

You can add some air to work around the problem, but a new diaphragm tank is in your future.

Last edited:

tcs5c

Reaction score
Well-X-Trol. Model WX-203. I'm guessing it is original w/ the house (circa 1980).

Reach4

Reaction score
Well-X-Trol. Model WX-203. I'm guessing it is original w/ the house (circa 1980).
Very good diaphragm tank. Think you will have to replace that every 38 years?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah the tank is bad. Actually the WX203 was one of the worst tanks made. The tall, skinny tank causes the diaphragm to stretch much more than the short, fat tanks like the WX250.

harivney

Reaction score
I tried searching to try to find an answer to following question but could not find a post.

While using the shower, the water pressure/flow varies (sometimes stronger than other times during the shower). Is this normal? Someone told me to shut well pump off, drain all water from faucet and check to see if bladder measures 38 psi. This is the way flow has been working as long as I can remember. Sprinker system seems to work fine. Faucet flow in farthest bathroom would slow after flushing toilet.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I tried searching to try to find an answer to following question but could not find a post.

While using the shower, the water pressure/flow varies (sometimes stronger than other times during the shower). Is this normal? Someone told me to shut well pump off, drain all water from faucet and check to see if bladder measures 38 psi. This is the way flow has been working as long as I can remember. Sprinker system seems to work fine. Faucet flow in farthest bathroom would slow after flushing toilet.

First you must check your pressure tank. If the pressure drops too much the air bladder will over expand and burst. There may always be a slight pressure drop if two fixtures are used at the same time. What is happening at the shower is the pressure drops from drawing water then the pump kicks on and it is able to pump more water than your using and pressure builds up in the tank. Some of the fluctuations in pressure is the tank is not pressurized enough. You need to know what size pump you have. The high pressure can be 40, 50 or 60 psi. This is when the pump shuts off. Most will be 50 or 60 PSI. With a perfect working system, pressure variation will always occur since the low pressure setting would be at 40 psi.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Where is your pump?

What is the minimum time that your pump runs?

Is your pressure switch set to turn on the pump at 40 PSI?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With 38 PSI air in the tank, your pressure switch should be turning the pump on/off at 40/60. So yes while you are taking a shower sometimes the pressure will be at 60 and sometimes at 40 PSI.The larger the tank, the fewer times the pump cycles on/off, but the longer you are seeing the low pressure before the pump starts. Shower pressure is stronger and increasing when water is coming from the pump. Pressure is weaker and decreasing when the pump is off and water is coming from the tank. From 40 to 60 water is coming from the pump. From 60 to 40 water is coming from the tank.

When water is coming from the tank, you are drawing water through the faucets. When water is coming from the pump, it is being pushed through the faucets. When water is being pushed through a shower and someone flushes a toilet, water is quickly pushed to the toilet as well (no pressure drop). When water is being drawn from the tank, flushing the toilet causes a momentary drop in shower pressure. The shower pressure must drop for more water to be drawn from the tank to feed the toilet. This is what causes a "scream" from the person in the shower when a toilet is flushed elsewhere in the house.

No matter what size pressure tank you have, with the pump cycling between 40 and 60 you are getting an average of 50 PSI. An average 50 means part of the shower is at 60 and part at 40 PSI. With a small pressure tank and a Cycle Stop Valve the entire shower will have a constant 50 PSI, no matter how long you are in the shower. A constant 50 PSI from a CSV seems so much stronger in the shower than an average 50 PSI that many people tell me they no longer even need soap. :)

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I'm changing mine when the weather gets warm, but my tank had no pressure at all and it was constantly cycling (bad for pump). I refilled the bladder with a compressor and it's been working fine ever since. Still, it's original to the house and it must have a slow leak.

If your cut on pressure is 40 lbs, make sure your pressure is 38 lbs (-2).

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks