Water Pressure Regulator

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben48

Reaction score
Can someone explain me how to remove the water Pressure Regulator (WPR)to replace it with a new one . My problem is with the upperpart which I think has a union coupling on a pvc tube. The big upper nut seems to be glued with the PVC pipe. If someone can also recommend me a WPR which would fit as a replacement I'd be very thankfull.
thank you

Water Pressure Regulator.jpg Water Pressure Regulator2.jpg
Water Pressure Regulator.jpg
Water Pressure Regulator2.jpg

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are a few options. 1 is to cut the plastic pipe then glue a coupling when you install the new prv. Another is to remove the front cover, the one with the bolts, then try to spin the prv off the male adapter. Last would be to rebuild the existing prv. That would not require removal of the main body.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The connection at the bottom of the PRV seems to be a union.
Shut off the main.
Using two wrenches, rotate the union nut CCW and then unscrew the PRV from the top pipe adapter.
Not sure the top pipe is plastic, it has a section that is unpainted and looks like copper.
About a replacement: take the old PRV to a supply store and try to find one the same size, otherwise custom fit a new one in.

Ben48

Reaction score
There are a few options. 1 is to cut the plastic pipe then glue a coupling when you install the new prv. Another is to remove the front cover, the one with the bolts, then try to spin the prv off the male adapter. Last would be to rebuild the existing prv. That would not require removal of the main body.

Ben48

Reaction score
Thank you. The easiest way would be rebuilding the wpr. Unfortunatly there are no indication of wpr brand. How could then i get the repair kit ?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As has been said that bottom nut is a union half. Unscrew the large nut on the bottom and unscrew the valve from the upper line. That blue tag on the valve should have a model number. Looks like a Watts 35B.

Ben48

Reaction score
Sorry for my english- Thank you so much for your help!
The problem is that I cannot be sure what model I have. I was about to DIY the job myself but , I am hesitating because of the way the pvc tube is connected to the WPR on the upper part. I see that the inner thread of the WPR is used for the upper part of the tubing connection. I also think ( ?? ) that there is a sort of brass adaptor "glued" to the pvc tube on one end and screwed on the WPR on the other end , this for the upper part of WPR. To remove the wpr. What do you think if I first shutt the water and then unscrew the bottom nut of the WPR and then twist the wpr holding the upper nut with a plier.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"What do you think if I first shutt the water and then unscrew the bottom nut of the WPR and then twist the wpr holding the upper nut with a plier."
- Now you're talking. This is what I told you before.
Do that, by using two wrenches (one tho hold the pipe and one to turn the PRV around). If you use only one wrench, you will bust the pipe.
Another thing: you don't need to get this exact model, if you can't find one. Other PRV mfgs make similar length valves that will fit in.

Ben48

Reaction score
As has been said that bottom nut is a union half. Unscrew the large nut on the bottom and unscrew the valve from the upper line. That blue tag on the valve should have a model number. Looks like a Watts 35B.
I understand ! no problem at all to unscrew the bottom nut, but to unscrew the valve from the upper line I'll have, while holding the line with a wrench, to twist the valve which, is too close to the wall ( unless I pull with caution the upper line from the wall so I can twist the valve to unscrew it from the upper line)
The blue tag unfortunatly is broken !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks