Water pressure regulator problem – pressure increases overnight

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I would suggest this test:
1. Turn off the water to the building (either before or after the regulator) while pressure inside is high.
2. Note the pressure with your gauge.
3. Open a faucet and drain water into a big measuring cup until the pressure matches the pressure that the regulator is set for. The more water that comes out before that pressure, the better your expansion tank is doing.
4. Note how much water is in the measuring cup.

Alternate if other step 3 is not handy:
3. Open a faucet and drain 4 oz of water into a measuring cup. (I picked that number somewhat at random)
4. Note the pressure in the building.

What did you measure?

This may be useful to you; it talks about adjusting the precharge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1MTEZREQk

Last edited:

igornys

Reaction score
I assume the tank is fine as I replaced a broken expansion tank just a couple of days ago, adjusting pressure to what was provided by PVR (i.e. 50 psi) ... and yes, I measured pressure in the tank after turning off the cold water supply/opening hot water faucet …

As for your test – it takes almost 1 gallon of water (3.5 liter) to bring pressure down from 70 psi to 50 psi.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks