Water pressure regulator bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

ChrisMc

Reaction score
Hi!

I've had the water pressure regulator replaced in my house once, and the 'guts' swapped out a second time (the plumber said it was easier due to the tight confines, poorly laid out access/plumbing underneath my kitchen sink). In both cases each lasted maybe 9-10 years. At one of those times, the plumber said a 'sign' it was going bad, was that my toilet fill valves would run/start going bad, and my ancient master bath faucet dripped (it's the original builder grade Eljer that I keep nursing along with springs and rubber seats).

Anyway, getting to the point. After the last replacement I purchased one of those faucet water pressure devices. Hooked up to my outside water faucet (which first routes through the inside pressure regulator), it showed 45. I'm told that's "normal." However, when I turn on the kitchen faucet after it's not been used for awhile, the pressure/force of the water coming out seems high, then quickly backs down. Both my toilet valves have started acting odd/filling high in the tank, and my master bath faucet has been dripping on and off.

The question! Despite what the pressure guage shows, would you suspect the household water pressure regulator is indeed going bad and needs replacement?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Assume this is city water and do you have an expansion tank off the water heater? The gauge you have is it the one with a tattletail needle? Do you know the input pressure?

Try it with the washing machine faucets turned off. The hoses could be expanding when no water is running as pressure builds and the hoses expand or swell some.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Changing PRV every 10 years is not unusual. City water pressure can fluctuate rapidly and cause your PRV to fail. Also, who knows what's in your water.
It's part of being a homeowner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks