Water pressure problem

Users who are viewing this thread

mikeandpebble1

Reaction score
ok I have city water with check valve and a watts pressure valve ben installed about 5 years about 2 years ago started getting pressure spikes when no water was used for a period of time so installed a pressure relief tank took care of the problem until lately started to get the spike again checked the tank and it seems fine my house pressure has always been set at 40 to 50 psi but if no water is used for several hours and i check the pressure gauge it is showing over 100 psi any idea what would cause this nothing has been changed on my side of the gauge?

Reach4

Reaction score
???PRVscreen???

iHavenoIdeaWhataPressurereliefTankIsButHardToRead.

Fitter30

Reaction score

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the ET has lost some of its precharge, it won't perform its job properly any more, and the pressure can rise, so the first thing to check would be that.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The expansion tank air pre-charge is measured with the water to the home shut off and the plumbing pressure reduced to O psi by opening a faucet, preferably located on the same level where the expansion tank is located (example: basement). A tire pressure gauge is utilized for the measurement, and a bicycle tire pump or air compressor utilized IF air will need to be added. If the tank seems heavy or seems to continue to contain water when the system pressure is at 0 psi, or if any water comes out of the air valve, then the tank's diaphragm will likely have failed so the tank may need to be replaced.

Since it appears that your home is equipped with a PRV, the problem is likely the PRV will need to be repaired, but it would be best to first check the expansion tank as problems with either can result in excessive pressure during periods of no water use.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHen a PRV starts to fail, the pressure can creep up, but first thing to eliminate is an ET that is either failing or just has lost some of it's precharge (hopefully, that's it as all it takes is a little air put in it to raise the precharge).

mikeandpebble1

Reaction score
checked the ET and the air pressure is right the city had a busted water line not far from my house a while back and when they fixed it and turned the water back on they didn't bleed the air out of the lines and the lines in my house went nuts all kind of noise and vibration could this have done something to my PRV?

Reach4

Reaction score
checked the ET and the air pressure is right the city had a busted water line not far from my house a while back and when they fixed it and turned the water back on they didn't bleed the air out of the lines and the lines in my house went nuts all kind of noise and vibration could this have done something to my PRV?
yes. See #2. Clean the screen.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your water heater isnt kicking on or temp rising. then there would be no reason for pressure to rise other than a bad regulator as Jadnashua said they creep up it pressureand if no water is used for awhile it can get pretty high. I just rebuilt mine it was only 3 years old (not a normal life). So just got to check these things pretty simple good luck.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Most likely it stirred up debris that may have clogged both the PRV and fixtures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks