Water pressure issue

Users who are viewing this thread

hantrongtai1

Reaction score
I have a ongoing issue with my water pressure. I have a well. When we do something that uses a lot of water (like using the washer) we lose water pressure to the whole house. If I run the spicket outside we will get some pressure back but then it will go away at times. We had full pressure back at one point but when we did some wash it went back down. What's confusing is the spicket has full pressure and so does the hose hook ups on the house.

We checked the water pressure tank by letting some air out and seeing if any water came out and none came out. The pressure gauge says we are getting 40 psi

Any ideas?

Thank you for reading!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Need more info. Watch the pressure gauge while you are having pressure problems. Is the gauge just low and stays low, or does it go from 40 to 60 on and off while using water. The fact that you have good pressure on outside faucets usually means there is a filter or softener clogged so you don't get the same pressure in the house. Let us know what the pressure gauge says when you are using lots of water, (like the washer) and when you are not using a lot of water.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
We checked the water pressure tank by letting some air out and seeing if any water came out and none came out.
I wish someone would debunk that test. Most tanks have the air valve at the very top of the tank and so for water to come out, there would need to be zero air in the tank. While water coming out confirms a 100% waterlogged tank, air coming out only proves it is less than 99% waterlogged.

A more thorough test involves completely draining the tank and leaving the drain open see if the air pressure is normal and holding. It is still not 100% conclusive as water can get trapped above the rubber. Beyond that, doing a draw-down test will confirm your tank is performing within spec.

Get a test pressure gauge that has garden hose thread and screw it into the hose bib while water is being used to compare if it reads the same as the one at the tank. Use it also at the washer hookup when water is used elsewhere. You might also be able to use it on the draincock of the hot water tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks