Water pressure has significantly reduced after repair to 1/2 PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

Ed Reinstein

Reaction score
I put in a niche in our shower, accidentally nicked the PEX tubing. So I bought the fittings and the sharkbite clamps and fixed it. It doesn't leak but the pressure is significantly lower . I'm stumped and can't figure out what I did, any trouble shooting ideas?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Maybe one of three things.
  1. Where did you turn off the water? The shut off valve may not be fully open. If there is a seat washer, they can dislodge.
  2. Debris got into the fixture, such as the seat washer disintegrated,
  3. the fitting inside diameter is way smaller than the PEX pipe.

Ed Reinstein

Reaction score
Maybe one of three things.
  1. Where did you turn off the water? The shut off valve may not be fully open. If there is a seat washer, they can dislodge.
  2. Debris got into the fixture, such as the seat washer disintegrated,
  3. the fitting inside diameter is way smaller than the PEX pipe.
1. Turned it off outside, shutoff the entire house. All other pressure its fine.
2. I was very careful not to get debri inside the pipe, but I took it apart and re=inspected and the PEX is clean. The house is 6 months old and I don't think the washer disintegrated. I removed the shower head and it was clean.
3. I used the brass fitting vs plastic to get the bigger opening, so it is a little smaller. Could that really be the cause? How else could I repair the leak?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Your repair is OK, however, sharkbite does make a Push To Connect fittings for PEX. No clamps needed

I'm assuming it is a shower only, no tub. The hot or cold side? One fitting slightly smaller should not make that big of a difference. All new tub/shower faucets have a anti scalding spool built into the cartridge. It will close off the hot side some if the cold water side pressure drops significantly by a toilet flush, a washing machine filling. etc. Sometimes these spools get jammed. All I can suggest is turn off the water again and open the faucet somewhere in the middle. Tap the shower handle with a plastic hammer or screwdriver handle to see if the spool can't be jarred a bit. Turn the water back on leaving the faucet open and check again. If no change you may have to remove the shower faucet cartridge. All I can suggest here from Florida.

brass-sharkbite-brass-fittings-u008lfa-c3_145.jpg

Ed Reinstein

Reaction score
Your repair is OK, however, sharkbite does make a Push To Connect fittings for PEX. No clamps needed

I'm assuming it is a shower only, no tub. The hot or cold side? One fitting slightly smaller should not make that big of a difference. All new tub/shower faucets have a anti scalding spool built into the cartridge. It will close off the hot side some if the cold water side pressure drops significantly by a toilet flush, a washing machine filling. etc. Sometimes these spools get jammed. All I can suggest is turn off the water again and open the faucet somewhere in the middle. Tap the shower handle with a plastic hammer or screwdriver handle to see if the spool can't be jarred a bit. Turn the water back on leaving the faucet open and check again. If no change you may have to remove the shower faucet cartridge. All I can suggest here from Florida.

brass-sharkbite-brass-fittings-u008lfa-c3_145.jpg
I will that a try! thanks for your advice!

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe when you have the pipe open, with an assistant, turn on the water temporarily as a test. Expect 6+ gpm from the open pipe. If you only got 4, I think you have a significant restriction in the path to that open pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks