Water pressure going from 12 to 82psi (with new switch)

Users who are viewing this thread

Szydlowm

Reaction score
We've had fluctuating water pressure since we moved into this house back in August. This morning though, we lost all pressure. The pressure gauge read 12 psi (we have a 30-50psi pressure switch).

After about 20 minutes the pump kicked on, knocking the pressure up to 82psi...and continued to run for over an hour and a half, at which point I manually turned it off. The pressure holds, but the pump doesn't seem to shut off or come back on when it should...I thought it was a faulty switch.

I have replaced the pressure switch (30-50psi), the nipple, and the gauge...but the issue persists. As soon as I turn the pump back on, it builds the pressure up to 82 and holds. I drain the water and release pressure, but watch the gauge go by 30psi and nothing happens. The pump did kick on at 15psi, but I have no idea why.

I assume the new switch would come with 30-50psi defaulted, so I'm hesitant to make any adjustments.

I have a 44 gallon Amtrol tank and have no specs on the well pump.

Any ideas on what I could try next?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
We've had fluctuating water pressure since we moved into this house back in August. This morning though, we lost all pressure. The pressure gauge read 12 psi (we have a 30-50psi pressure switch).
I presume that was no longer the case after you replaced the pressure gauge.

It is important that the pressure switch and pressure tank are seeing the same pressure, and they should be close together. The pressure gauge is usually near the pressure switch. Is your system like that?

I suggest that you post a photo that includes the pressure gauge, pressure switch, the connection to the pressure tank, and the line from the well showing any devices in the path. To upload a photo, it needs to be 800 pixels or less wide and high. It needs to be under 200 KB.

I would also get a garden hose thread pressure gauge. Under $20, and sometimes under $10. Connect it to the drain valve at the tank. It can serve as an additional pressure measurement. It would normally read the same as the other pressure gauge, but I suspect it might not in your case.

Szydlowm

Reaction score
Hi Reach,

Sadly, nothing has changed. On the advise of a family friend, I relieved the pressure and added air to the tank, resulting in 25psi. When I turned on the pump again, it rose to 82psi again.

Here is a photo of the setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 259

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is that a "before" photo? None of the things you mentioned changing looks new. Did the switch show any signs of having been tampered with? Maybe it was an open box item that someone fiddled with.

Reach4

Reaction score
img_3.jpg

You want the pressure switch to be close, in the same pressure sense, to your pressure tank. I looks like that elbow area pointed to by the red arrow is mangled and is probably mostly blocked.

I cannot be sure that entirely explains your symptoms, but it is a problem unless the picture is not showing what I think it is showing.

Szydlowm

Reaction score
FWIW, here is a better photo (with new switch, nipple, and gauge).

Reach, are you saying the right angle is the issue? or the fact that they aren't on the same plane? ...Or something else?

Attachments

• IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 268

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach, are you saying the right angle is the issue?
Never mind. I think the compression made the first photo look way different. Ignore my previous comment. I incorrectly thought that angle was mangled.

Szydlowm

Reaction score
View attachment 44058
You want the pressure switch to be close, in the same pressure sense, to your pressure tank. I looks like that elbow area pointed to by the red arrow is mangled and is probably mostly blocked.

I cannot be sure that entirely explains your symptoms, but it is a problem unless the picture is not showing what I think it is showing.
Sorry, poor photo quality. Nothing is mangled, dented, or outside of "normal" appearance. But is the distance and right angle enough to cause an issue?

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think so. It's not ideal, as you would get with a tank tee, but the symptoms you have could not be explained with that. So I think either the new pressure switch is bad, or that galvanized manifold thing has some serious junk inside, or the new nipple got clogged already somehow. Maybe somebody else has a better idea.

I would get that GHT pressure gauge when you next go shopping.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Silly question, but when you removed the nipple from the tank Tee, did you make sure it was not clogged at the base of the threads? No point in a new nipple if the inside of the tank Tee is clogged. Other than that, all I can think of is maybe you went overboard with Teflon tape is clogged the inside of the switch.

Szydlowm

Reaction score
I don't think so. So I think either new pressure switch is bad, or that galvanized manifold thing has some serious junk inside, or the new nipple got clogged already somehow. Maybe somebody else has a better idea.

I would get that GHT pressure gauge when you next go shopping.

Is there an easy way to flush that manifold? When I drained the pressure tank, there was a good amount of iron sediment that came out at the end. Through trial and error, I've flushed it a few more times and I'm only getting clean water now.

But that doesn't mean there isn't crap inside the manifold.

Szydlowm

Reaction score
Silly question, but when you removed the nipple from the tank Tee, did you make sure it was not clogged at the base of the threads? No point in a new nipple if the inside of the tank Tee is clogged. Other than that, all I can think of is maybe you went overboard with Teflon tape is clogged the inside of the switch.

It's possible. Nothing looked clogged, but at this point, I don't really have any other options. I'll try removing the switch and poking around in the manifold. I made sure the tape was in the middle of the threading too, so I'm not sure if it got in, but worth looking at while I'm in there. Thanks for the suggestion!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'll try removing the switch
I noticed you crossed the colours. Normally you would keep the same colours on each side, so black next to black and white next to white. Only really matters with 120V as 240V is hot on both sides but for troubleshooting, it would be better not to cross them.

Szydlowm

Reaction score
I noticed you crossed the colours. Normally you would keep the same colours on each side, so black next to black and white next to white. Only really matters with 120V as 240V is hot on both sides but for troubleshooting, it would be better not to cross them.

I made a note where they originally were and put them back in the same spot...sadly, I'm not any better an electrician than I am a plumber. Thanks for noticing and for sharing though. I'll make the change when I reconnect the switch.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking that if you could unscrew the tee that the pressure relief is screwed into, you could maybe auger around through that bigger hole. Hand held drill bits, flat screwdrivers, round steel brush?
s-l225.jpg
A shotgun cleaning brush would probably be too soft.

Szydlowm

Reaction score
I am thinking that if you could unscrew the tee that the pressure relief is screwed into, you could maybe auger around through that bigger hole. Hand held drill bits, flat screwdrivers, round steel brush?
s-l225.jpg
A shotgun cleaning brush would probably be too soft.
I took the pressure switch back off and started poking around in there...I got a mix of clear and black water coming out (with fine black sediment). The pressure read 25psi (I assumed what was in the tank without water). Once the black water finished dripping out, the pressure dropped to zero.

Now, I'm hoping the issue doesn't have to do with the tank/bladder. Does this help to better identify the issue?

Szydlowm

Reaction score
I took the pressure switch back off and started poking around in there...I got a mix of clear and black water coming out (with fine black sediment). The pressure read 25psi (I assumed what was in the tank without water). Once the black water finished dripping out, the pressure dropped to zero.

Now, I'm hoping the issue doesn't have to do with the tank/bladder. Does this help to better identify the issue?
Nevermind. Obviously the pressure would drop. But I'm still getting a steady drip of water coming out of the drain valve...

Szydlowm

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question...but should the opening beyond the threading be free and clear? There is clearly something obstructing it, but it's so large, I'm not sure if it should be there. If it's build up...this would probably be a solution, as it looks like it's restricting the water flow to the pressure switch, which seems like it would impact it's ability to function correctly. I just don't want to chip away at it if it belongs there. Any insight?

Attachments

• IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 264
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks