Water pressure drops on kitchen faucet after turned on

Users who are viewing this thread

Bcr621

Reaction score
I have a weird issue with my kitchen sink. The water pressure gradually drops while using the faucet. When I turn on the hot water, there's full pressure. After a couple of seconds the pressure drops to about 50%, then the faucet rumbles and stutters (like when there's air in the line) and the pressure goes back to normal. If I just leave it running, this cycle repeats with the pressure getting lower each time. If I turn the hot water off for a second and then back on, it returns to full pressure and the cycle starts again.

If the hot water is on full and I turn on the cold water, the water pressure immediately drops to about 25% and stays there until I turn the cold off. If I just turn the cold water on, it runs at full pressure with no problem.

In any of these scenarios, if I use the sprayer hose, the pressure is 100%. When I release the hose trigger, the faucet resumes with about 20% pressure.

This only happens with the kitchen sink, the pressure in the rest of the house is fine.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, it's extremely frustrating.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It could be that the washers in your shut-offs, (stops) have disintegrated/gone to hell, and are interfering with the water flow to the faucet.

New supply tubes and or stops may be the fix for you.

Bcr621

Reaction score
It could be that the washers in your shut-offs, (stops) have disintegrated/gone to hell, and are interfering with the water flow to the faucet.

New supply tubes and or stops may be the fix for you.
Not disagreeing, but everything in front of the shut off valves was replaced about 4 years ago. New lines, washers and new faucet.

Also, the pressure start out fine and then drops. It doesn’t start low.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I would try kitchen sprayer diverter as a search in a search engine.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Not disagreeing, but everything in front of the shut off valves was replaced about 4 years ago.
They don't make them like they used to. Just cuz they are 4 years old doesn't mean they cannot be bad. A supply line could delaminate on the inside and partially block the flow the same as a faulty washer on the angle stop. You could test by reversing the lines and see if the problem moves to the cold side. If it moves, replace the supply line or angle stop. If it doesn't, suspect the tap's cartridge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks