Water pressure drops 50 psi with one outlet turned on

Users who are viewing this thread

jjkim

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for any advice.

I have an issue with water pressure dropping too low. With no outlets turned on, the outlet next to the main line reads a constant 65psi. As soon as I turn on any faucet/shower, toilet, the pressure drops to 15-25 psi (a 40-50 psi decrease!). The leak detector on my water meter doesn't show any leaks (and no change after 24 hours of no water use).

I know its probably a bad pressure reducing valve. However, the second hand on the pressure gauge shows that the pressure goes up to 100-110 psi overnight. This is probably just a spike due to water heating, but my two water heaters both have expansion tanks, so I wouldn't expect this to happen.

My town home was built about 8 years ago. Its four stories tall, but turning on any outlet results in about the same pressure drop. I right in the middle of Atlanta, so I assume the inlet pressure from the city is pretty good.

FYI, yesterday I adjusted the PRV to about 75 psi. Pressure still drops with any outlet, but only to about 20-30 psi. The overnight spike was 100 psi.

Thank you again for any help.

Stuff

Reaction score
Pressure without volume usually indicates a restriction. Either the PRV is bad or a shut-off valve is mostly closed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks