Water pressure dropping

Users who are viewing this thread

BullheadPond

Reaction score
What causes this slight drop in pressure?

Sand point 17ft down.
9ft of water in well pipe
Barracuda 3/4 hp shallow well convertible pump.
Check valve horizontal 15 inches before the pump.
Hose is hooked up to direct to pump ,about 5 inches of 1 inch pipe with t and plug on top coming out of the pump 'then hose is hooked up .
Outside pump setup for barn.

Reach4

Reaction score
How long does the dip in pressure last? With a jet pump, you usually set the air precharge to 5 psi below the cut-in pressure. It takes a while for jet pumps to build pressure. I expect the pressure gauge tells the story better. But then you did not actually say you have a pressure gauge at the pressure tank.

I am guessing that you have a pressure tank, and a pressure switch, and a pressure gauge, but maybe you don't. If you don't have those, the water level in your well may drop.

Last edited:

BullheadPond

Reaction score
I dont havd a pressure tank hooked up yet. I was jyst trying to make sure i could get water running before i hooked ot all together? Is that why it is doing this?

Reach4

Reaction score
Water level is being sucked down. I presume the flow stays lower if you continue pumping longer.

Another well point in parallel (some distance away, and I don't know what that distance would need to be) could help that, but it increases the chances for a suction leak.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is there a pressure switch on the pump? Did the pump stop/start while the video was recorded? Is there any sound of cavitation in the pump?

A jet pump works best under pressure since it uses pressure to make more pressure.

BullheadPond

Reaction score
There us a pressure switch on the pump. The pump will stay running the whole time the water is
Flowing. Does not seem to be any diffrernce no matter how long you run it. Just keeps doing what the video shows.

BullheadPond

Reaction score
Not sure if it was all of the the probkem or not but i noticed the pump was leaking water where the spinning rid from the motor goes into the pump housing. You could watch it drip when it was off . Taking it back to menards. Gonna try a drummond setup from harbour freight. 1hp shallow well pump with 5 gallon pressure tank, gauges included.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you are going to be running water for any length of time, get a good pump. That Drummond says "not for continuous use". That is not good if you need to use water for irrigation or even take a long shower. The internet is full of companies trying to make the cheapest pump. And you know what, they are succeeding. Get a good pump and you won't have to think about it again for 30 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks