Water pressure dropping and not recovering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Justsauer

Reaction score
Hi, I’m experiencing water pressure related issues in a new house I just moved into. If the landscaping sprinklers are running the water pressure out of the shower is very little. For starters the house’s plumbing is cpvc rated to 100 psi. There is a Watts pressure regulator valve on the house probably installed when the house was built 20 years ago. The water pressure sits at around 90 psi. at outside water bib and inside sinks. I am not able to adjust the pressure using the screw on the regulator. So I discovered the issue I’m having is that each time a water valve is turned on the water pressure continues to drop. I’m wondering if the problem could be a worn out water regulator or water pressure from the city. I have tried to adjust the regulator and the pressure does not change. Also it is a little higher that the rated output pressure. The valve is rated 25-75 psi. I’m getting about 90psi. See the video link attached. Strange how the water pressure never recovers when the valves come. Not sure if that is a symptom of a bad regulator valve. The regulator valve is a Watts 1 ¼ 25 AUB. Sound like the valve is bad anyway since it will not adjust the pressure and the output pressure is higher that the max rated of 75 psi. Has anyone experienced a similar issue with a bad regulator valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
My guess: PRV is set too high, and the filter screen is partially clogged.

Un-clog the screen, and adjust the PRV down to 60, or whatever your choice is.

I the behavior is still not good, consider a rebuild kit. https://www.watts.com/products/plumbing-flow-control-solutions/repair-kits/rk-25aub-z3/watts_0864944

While you are at it, check the thermal expansion tank, and if you set the restored PRV to 60 psi, set the air precharge in the thermal expansion tank to about 60 to 61. That tank should normally be empty of water, except when the water heater has been heating water while no water is being used.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
High pressure that falls off after water is used is indicative of a blockage. Check the screen in the PRV, any filters, and check for partially closed valves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks