Water Pressure Decrease With "T" Installed

Users who are viewing this thread

DW85745

Reaction score
I installed an undersink filter.
I "T" into the cold water line at the connection point between the kitchen faucet and the cold water supply to the faucet. The "T" part of the line goes to the filter and from the filter to a "separate" faucet ONLY used ON DEMAND to obtain filtered water.

What I noticed was a drop in cold water pressure (volume of water coming out) in the kitchen faucet even though the ON DEMAND filtered water faucet is Off.

Any ideas why?

Reach4

Reaction score
The answer that seems obvious to me is the tee design is not so good for the purpose. The tee came with the filter? If so, ask the filter maker, since he has probably had that complaint. Maybe he found a solution.

Consider posting a picture of the area including the shut-off valve and the tee.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you pushed the pipe in too far on the center part of the Tee, it will restrict the flow.

DW85745

Reaction score
Thanks for idea guys.
"T" was aftermarket -- did NOT come with Filter unit.
In process of disassembly, so will post if/when find solution.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Every time you change direction with a fluid, you create friction to flow. But, since most all kitchen faucets are flow restricted, I'm surprised you noticed a difference if it is a plain T...some special ones could have much bigger internal restrictions than others. Without seeing the T involved, it's hard to say.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I installed an undersink filter.
I "T" into the cold water line at the connection point between the kitchen faucet and the cold water supply to the faucet. The "T" part of the line goes to the filter and from the filter to a "separate" faucet ONLY used ON DEMAND to obtain filtered water.

What I noticed was a drop in cold water pressure (volume of water coming out) in the kitchen faucet even though the ON DEMAND filtered water faucet is Off.

Any ideas why?

A better way of splitting the water source is to install a T at the wall nipple, then install 2 short nipples with 2 angle stops. One for the cold water side of the faucet and one for the filter.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the T is after the shutoff valve, keep in mind that most of those valves already have internal restriction - i.e., they are not all full-flow, so you have a restriction followed by a potential second restriction.

They do make dual shutoff valves...you might just look into replacing the existing valve with a dual outlet one, or make it two totally individual ones.

Flapper

Reaction score
A better way of splitting the water source is to install a T at the wall nipple, then install 2 short nipples with 2 angle stops. One for the cold water side of the faucet and one for the filter.
Or replace it with a double valve or a dual-outlet valve

efe5dddf-ba4b-47f4-a4c7-a868cdbb153b_145.jpgeb0e1859-756f-444a-804f-a23ccc9ab5dd_145.jpg

DW85745

Reaction score
Turned out the cold water supply line was full of calcium.
Had packed itself so tight had almost restricted all water flow.
Took me awhile to get all the debris out.
Should be good to go for another 30+ years.

If of interest this was 1/2 copper.
Pulled the stop value bonnet and valve, and shoved a "blunted" long awl down the line to help break it up.
Stopped before I hit the 90 degree in the wall. Then hooked up double sided 1/2 PVC FIT
(thankfully these stops had 1/2 outlets) to the stop outlet.. I screwed in a PVC male to water hose adapter to the 1/2 PVC FIT. Reinstalled value and bonnet, turned on water, and let it run. Had to remove bonnet and valve 6 times, repeating process each time, but finally no debris.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Last edited:

Flapper

Reaction score
I prefer 2 separate angle stops over one with two outlets. Guess why?
You mean two completely separate stops or two stops in one assembly?
It's so you can shut off the other thing without shutting off the faucet, and vice-versa.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks