Water Pressure changed...

Users who are viewing this thread

doc5md

Reaction score
Hey all! Haven't been on here in quite a while. I've completed all my plumbing projects for the entire hourse, but now this issue popped up.
All of a sudden, the water pressure when opening a faucet is significantly higher than usual. it returns to normal pressure within about 5-10seconds of running the faucet. I think its on the cold side more than the hot side, but haven't tested fully.
We we first moved into the house 4years ago, I noticed this as well. But, it spontaneously resolved.
I don't know if this will help, but this is how the system runs.
My main line comes into the house, runs over and tee's into the gas hot water heater, then tee's again to my gas boiler, then on for regular household water.
On its way to the boiler it goes through a green device that almost reminds me of the valves that open via thermostat control for the heat, but there are no wires on it. This might be a flow control valve?
after that, it tees off to the boiler and to what I presume is an expansion tank.
What should I be looking for here?
Thanks, Quinn

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Only a guess, but maybe the expansion tank has failed. This would cause the pressure to rise when the water heated and so it would be high when the faucet was first opened. I'm not familiar with the boiler situation, but in a closed system without an expansion tank, the pressure rises to the point it will trip the T/P on the water heater. I would suggest you at least check the expansion tank to see if it is water logged.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Pressure Problem

What the first thing you have to do is check your incomming water pressure; i assume it is on a city supply.

Get a screw on gage and check it at the nearest hose bib to the incomming supply.
For some reason I can't post a link or image, just go on the net and search test gauge.

doc5md

Reaction score
pressure testing...

I did this before when it happened, but it had resolved quickly.
I can't find my guage now, but when I did it before the opening pressure was at least 25# more than the pressure if I ran the water for 10seconds first.
Hope that helps.
Quinn

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you have a pressure reducing valve in the system it could have failed, and if you do have one, then you also need an expansion tank, which could have failed, assuming you have one. These are about the only two conditions which can cause the symptoms you describe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks