Water pressure at 80-85psi, do I need a PRV?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pilotdog68

Reaction score
My water softener got fried (because of a dumb mistake) and before putting in a new one I decided to install a whole house filter and bypass loop to tame the chlorine. Part of that loop includes some pressure gauges and I found that our pressure is pretty steadily 80-85psi on city water. I always assumed we had low pressure, but it turns out we actually just have low flow caused by the builders feeding the whole upper level with 1/2".

While I'm in the plumbing mood, should I be installing a pressure reducing valve? Would that help protect from pipe and fixture failures in the future? We already have a minor issue with showerheads dripping at random times, which I'm now assuming is due to pressure spikes.

If I do need a PRV, is it ok to install it after my filter loop, so that my end pressure is more consistent? Or does it need to be first before anything else? Will the PRV hurt my flow even more?

Thanks

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You are ok with 85. UPC dictates PRV required at 80 psi, but I don't think that the 5psi is significant.

pressure-gauge-ashcroft.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might want to check for a week with a pressure gauge with high water mark (resettable pointer for highest pressure seen). If your pressure spikes well above 85 psi, and you determine it's the incoming pressure and not some other problem like lack of an expansion tank at the water heater on a closed system, then you'd probably want a PRV. In which case if your filters are rated for the highest pressure you observe, I don't see any reason why you couldn't put the PRV after the filters.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks