Water-powered sump pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Hi, I recently had three different plumbers out to get estimates on having a water-powered backup sump pump installed. The problem is, each guy recommends and installs a different product! Each plumber says what they install is the best, so it's rather confusing. I was hoping you pros could give me some advice on which one to use. Here are what they recommended:

Guardian by Saginaw Pump Company--couldn't find a site, but there is this Popular Mechanics article that gives some information: http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/home_clinic/1275381.html?page=1

Zoeller Home Guard:
http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/products/backupsystems/homeguard.htm

Tane Corp's Water Commander:
http://www.tanecorp.com/

I have a finished basement, so I need a backup, ASAP. The sump crock is in my workshop, so I will know pretty soon if the primary pump fails. I'm primarily worried about power outages or when I'm on vacation. I looked at battery backups, but what happens if you lose power for a couple days? (Generator, yeah, but I don't have $1500 for a generator and electrician to install a transfer switch.)

Thanks for your help! :)

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
If it says Zoeller on it, it is likely the most expensive option, and also the best normally.

I don't have any experience with the water powered pumps you mention, but their brand carry's a lot of weight in the pump industry.

Carmel Corn

Reaction score
IMHO - water powered systems lack pumping capacity vs. high end battery powered pumps (ex. Zoeller Aquanot II is what I use). Check the specs on any of the models you listed vs. the model I referenced above. If you have weak water pressure, then their effectiveness drops even more. Some municiples do not recommended them for other reasons, including excess water consumption.

Conceptually the idea makes sense, but I prefer a strong battery unit with extra batteries. Ask yourself if you've commonly experienced outages that lasted more than 1 day. A good battery pump will run 6 hours continuously, meaning that it will certainly run a full day if it is only pumping 1 minute out of every 4.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with Carmel Corn's post...

In some areas water powered pumps are not allowed.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Water powered sumps require back flow preventers installed which can run $1000.00 installed and that is before you even consider the back up install.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Then they use about 2 gallons of water to pump 1 gallon out!
Very wasteful! They create a lot of water waste... Where are you sending this water? You might need to dig a pond out in the yard!

vitaminj

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of water powered sump pumps either. I have one in addition to my AC primary and DC battery backup. It doesn't seem to do anything other than make noise and bubbles in the pit and add some awkward plumbing to my basement. I'm actually planning on getting rid of it. Just my 2 cents. I'm not a plumber, but I would rather have an extra battery in my backup system than a water powered pump.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I had a customer a couple of years back that was hell bent on installing a water powered back up unit over the battery back up unit I was recommending... I tried all The usual arguments with out getting through...

It was time for the trump card!

I informed him that he would need a standby generator to run his well pump!

DUH!:eek::D

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
must be slow all over the USA this morning

Must be a slow sat morning....

when you get a 2 thousand dollar
water bill cause your water operated sump
pump down in the dark mechanical room has been
runing all month long and it does not have an alarm to let you know.......

then you will know why that they are no good....

they also have a tendencey to lime up inside that
venturi fitting that sits down inthe water....

get the Aquanot ll

http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/sumppumps/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks